New plants!

Reaction score
Recently, I have decided to purchase a few new plants, but instead I went a little too overboard. I love adding new plants in my yard because it makes me feel overwhelmed by their beauty. This is a picture of the few I bought in pots last month from a local hardware store. I am planning on separating them and plant them into new pots so, I can give some away to family and friends as a gift.

I love buying new plants!!! :)

image.jpg

Reaction score
Recently, I have decided to purchase a few new plants, but instead I went a little too overboard. I love adding new plants in my yard because it makes me feel overwhelmed by their beauty. This is a picture of the few I bought in pots last month from a local hardware store. I am planning on separating them and plant them into new pots so, I can give some away to family and friends as a gift.

View attachment 2952

Those are beautiful. When i'm away from the garden center for too long, I tend to go overboard too. haha

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Chanell I read online that stink bugs are considered beneficial insects cause they eat mostly caterpillars that damage our gardens. They can become a problem if you have an over population... and if you want butterflies. Are you picking a lot of cherry tomatoes? I pick a handful every day. My big tomatoes are all still green which is fine. I may not have to buy any tomatoes for awhile now. Wish my cucumbers would come along... just a few little tiny ones with the flowers still attached.

My cucumber are limping along as well. I had them in a large hanging flower pot that has a removable bottom. It seemed the bottom was causing the soil to hold too much water so I removed it (I did the same for the zucchini). Now the plants look less anemic, but I think they may still need more help.

I'm picking a few cherry tomatoes every couple days. How come the stink bugs never mess with cut worms? Pulled a bunch off tomatoes, herbs and strawberries over the past few days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States

View attachment 2952

Wow! That looks gorgeous! I keep trying to restrict myself, but I'm not having much success, lol. I love all the gradations of color with your variegated foliage plants. I hope you don't have to worry about harsh winters and moving things indoors where you live, because that is going to be serious work at the rate you're going, lol!

Reaction score
My cucumber are limping along as well. I had them in a large hanging flower pot that has a removable bottom. It seemed the bottom was causing the soil to hold too much water so I removed it (I did the same for the zucchini). Now the plants look less anemic, but I think they may still need more help.

I'm picking a few cherry tomatoes every couple days. How come the stink bugs never mess with cut worms? Pulled a bunch off tomatoes, herbs and strawberries over the past few days.

I picked a couple of my big tomatoes this weekend. I still have a lot of green ones. Some are dragging on the ground that i'm tempted to pick green. I'm having serious doubts my cucumbers are gonna do much...so strange. I'm usually picking loads of them even before my regular tomatoes start getting ripe. I didn't know you were having problems with stink bugs. My black one is still hanging around...he just wanders up and down my sunflower plant. haha. Do they die in the winter?? Can he survive on my plants on my back porch? hahaha

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
No, @Tommyotommy, I am not having problems with stink bugs. Last year I had a problem with them attacking my monarch caterpillars, but I haven't been fostering any this year. In fact, I've only seen the one giant swallowtail larvae on my Meyer's lemon. I am seeing a lot of cutworms in garden #2, but I've only picked off a few in garden #1.

Reaction score
No, @Tommyotommy, I am not having problems with stink bugs. Last year I had a problem with them attacking my monarch caterpillars, but I haven't been fostering any this year. In fact, I've only seen the one giant swallowtail larvae on my Meyer's lemon. I am seeing a lot of cutworms in garden #2, but I've only picked off a few in garden #1.

How do you get the monarch caterpillars? The obvious way? attracting the butterflies? Buying plants they're attracted to?

Reaction score
I like them as well, I love everything purple :) purple hearts, oxalis... I haven't seen them at the local nurseries this year either :( Actually I don't think I have ever seen them being sold around here or maybe I didn't even notice, since it seems I am always in a rush.

Not too good a pic but this is my purple oxalis.

Attachments

• IMAG0547.jpg
    IMAG0547.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 287
Reaction score
Oh my...! I had no idea there were red oxalis! Really beautiful! I'd love to have a oxalist in every color available! Is there a yellow oxalis?

Thanks! I need to find out what will happen in the winter. I'm guessing at the first frost the leaves die off and the bulb goes dormant. Wonder if being in the pot is enough to protect the bulb though. Can't remember if there is an oxalis called yellow oxalis.I do have a green one with yellow flowers. I'll check Google since they have so many pictures.

Ask a Question