New plants!

Reaction score
The Monarch caterpillars are a handful, but it's rewarding to see them become butterflies. I don't have as much time to dedicate to them this year as I had last year, so they will have to fend for themselves this time around. I have some carrot tops in water in preparation for the return of the eastern swallowtails, but I'm not going out of the way with them either.

How do you care for the caterpillars?? This is new to me.

Reaction score
The Monarch caterpillars are a handful, but it's rewarding to see them become butterflies. I don't have as much time to dedicate to them this year as I had last year, so they will have to fend for themselves this time around. I have some carrot tops in water in preparation for the return of the eastern swallowtails, but I'm not going out of the way with them either.

I understand, very busy times :) I love monarch caterpillars, they're so beautiful! Almost as beautiful as when they morph into butterflies, but they indeed are a handful. I tried with other caterpillars in the past, but the darn wasps ended up eating them!!!

Reaction score
I understand, very busy times :) I love monarch caterpillars, they're so beautiful! Almost as beautiful as when they morph into butterflies, but they indeed are a handful. I tried with other caterpillars in the past, but the darn wasps ended up eating them!!!

I really hardly notice many butterflies here, but with my four o'clock flowers starting to bloom now, I might see some soon...and probably hummingbirds. They smell so good.
Oh I went to the garden center and bought a few things. A purple oxalis, similar to the pic I had posted, a caladium, a small angelwing begonia. I'll put some pics on Facebook... not really sure how to post a pic here from my phone. I'll let y'all know when.

Reaction score
Hey there!!! Does your oxalis looks like this:

oxalis.jpg

Oxalis_Triangularis_closeup.jpg

Just wondering :) Because I've never seen one of those in real life, but have seen several pics... in some pics they look all purple! But in this ones they seem to have two colors :eek:

Reaction score

oxalis.jpg

Oxalis_Triangularis_closeup.jpg

Just wondering :) Because I've never seen one of those in real life, but have seen several pics... in some pics they look all purple! But in this ones they seem to have two colors :eek:

Yea it looks like that except the dark purple is darker and the lighter purple inside is less pronounced, and mine has light purple flowers about that size. It really is nice. Not quite as full as the ones above though but if its anything like the other oxalis I have, it won't be long before it fills up nice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States

I have a few last year that were attached by wasps and stink bugs. After that I moved the milkweed and larvae to my portable greenhouse and covered it with tulle (closest thing I had to mesh). The thing about monarchs is that they can strip a milkweed plant overnight. They kept me on the run for more leaves to feed them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I really hardly notice many butterflies here, but with my four o'clock flowers starting to bloom now, I might see some soon...and probably hummingbirds. They smell so good.
Oh I went to the garden center and bought a few things. A purple oxalis, similar to the pic I had posted, a caladium, a small angelwing begonia. I'll put some pics on Facebook... not really sure how to post a pic here from my phone. I'll let y'all know when.

Tommy, you need host plants for the larvae and you will have butterflies galore! (Did you see my FB pix?) I had three different kind last year. If you want Monarchs you have to get milkweed. If you have parsley, dill or fennel you'll get eastern swallowtails. I was about to pull down the Virginia creeper when I giant swallowtail came to visit. It found my Meyer lemon and those leaves were history. I'm looking for rue to give the giants something else to eat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States

oxalis.jpg

I love the purple Oxalis! I haven't seen any at the garden centers this year and I want some! I have to get down to Harold's Plants to get some herbs for the "mosquito box" in the next week or so. I'll have to see if they have any.

Reaction score
Tommy, you need host plants for the larvae and you will have butterflies galore! (Did you see my FB pix?) I had three different kind last year. If you want Monarchs you have to get milkweed. If you have parsley, dill or fennel you'll get eastern swallowtails. I was about to pull down the Virginia creeper when I giant swallowtail came to visit. It found my Meyer lemon and those leaves were
history. I'm looking for rue to give the giants

I think I will pass on the butterflies. I'm already obsessed with the big black stink bug living on mysunflower the last few weeks haha.

Reaction score
I love the purple Oxalis! I haven't seen any at the garden centers this year and I want some! I have to get down to Harold's Plants to get some herbs for the "mosquito box" in the next week or so. I'll have to see if they have any.

I like them as well, I love everything purple :) purple hearts, oxalis... I haven't seen them at the local nurseries this year either :( Actually I don't think I have ever seen them being sold around here or maybe I didn't even notice, since it seems I am always in a rush.

Reaction score
I have a few last year that were attached by wasps and stink bugs. After that I moved the milkweed and larvae to my portable greenhouse and covered it with tulle (closest thing I had to mesh). The thing about monarchs is that they can strip a milkweed plant overnight. They kept me on the run for more leaves to feed them.

Hehehe, I don't have a lot experience with monarch larvaes, because I haven't actively taken care of them in the past. It sounds like a fun hobby tho!

I had no idea stink bugs ate them too :eek: we have a lot of those here and I really dislike them! Those things are nasty, they now will be in my garden black list!

Reaction score
Yea it looks like that except the dark purple is darker and the lighter purple inside is less pronounced, and mine has light purple flowers about that size. It really is nice. Not quite as full as the ones above though but if its anything like the other oxalis I have, it won't be long before it fills up nice.

Wow, I can't wait to get one of those as well then :)!!!!! I'd love to get one with white flowers. I like this kind of plants; compact and beautiful :D the one with purple flowers sounds delightful too <3

Reaction score
Wow, I can't wait to get one of those as well then :)!!!!! I'd love to get one with white flowers. I like this kind of plants; compact and beautiful :D the one with purple flowers sounds delightful too <3

Since I'm not raising monarchs, I think a big black stink bug makes a wonderful garden pet. Haha. I found some pics online of the other plants I got the other day. I'll see if I can post them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Since I'm not raising monarchs, I think a big black stink bug makes a wonderful garden pet. Haha. I found some pics online of the other plants I got the other day. I'll see if I can post them.

Yeah, well, if you ever expect to see butterflies...

I'm just glad my cherry tomatoes weren't plagued by hornworms. I found some green cutworms on my dill in garden #2 early in the spring, but that's been the worst of it.

Reaction score
Yeah, well, if you ever expect to see butterflies...

I'm just glad my cherry tomatoes weren't plagued by hornworms. I found some green cutworms on my dill in garden #2 early in the spring, but that's been the worst of it.

Chanell I read online that stink bugs are considered beneficial insects cause they eat mostly caterpillars that damage our gardens. They can become a problem if you have an over population... and if you want butterflies. Are you picking a lot of cherry tomatoes? I pick a handful every day. My big tomatoes are all still green which is fine. I may not have to buy any tomatoes for awhile now. Wish my cucumbers would come along... just a few little tiny ones with the flowers still attached.

Ask a Question