New plants!

Reaction score
I love the clearance section at Lowe's. I have gotten all sorts of beautiful plants there for cheap. You have to be careful to make sure that they aren't dying, but many of them are in good shape.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
oh no, the tree clearnaces are near the end of the sale season each spring and fall. i'm just in the habit of looking through the garden center. this time of year i'm liable to use the garden entrance weather i'm buying plants or not (i'm in lowes pretty often).

I must keep that in mind! I went again on Monday (or was it Tuesday?) and scored two great hanging baskets of African Daisies for $3 each. I'm debating about going back for a kiwi vine so I'll definitely be checking to see what has been moved to the clearance section. Last year it was the end of May when I got the best deals.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I love the clearance section at Lowe's. I have gotten all sorts of beautiful plants there for cheap. You have to be careful to make sure that they aren't dying, but many of them are in good shape.

If they are just wilted with some brown spots, I nurture them for a few days and then prune the dead parts. That is, if the plants are $1 or less. I recently salvaged a beautiful flowering vine that just budded and I can't way to see what the flowers look like.

Reaction score
My mom went to Lowe's recently and discovered the clearance section. Last weekend she went back and Saturday she brought me six marigold six packs. Yesterday we went together and I got a whole bunch of stuff! (She did too, lol, since I was there to identify a lot of plants she didn't recognize.)

As we were leaving I noticed the milkweed.We chose a nice, healthy one with three plants growing in the container. Then I noticed It had three monarch caterpillars on it! Mom has been pulling dozens of tomato horn worms off her creole tomatoes and peppers every morning so she vetoed the caterpillars :-(

Here's a photo of all my new plants - minus one I didn't realize I forgot to put in the same area.

382198_10201062127413046_24548399_n.jpg

Gotta love those clearance bins! The nursery I go to also has a "hospital" section with discount plants... usually just needing a little pruning, a bigger pot or something minor to recuperate. No diseased plants. Saw you're in New Orleans chantell...I'm on the west bank. Ever go to rose garden center in Marrero?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Gotta love those clearance bins! The nursery I go to also has a "hospital" section with discount plants... usually just needing a little pruning, a bigger pot or something minor to recuperate. No diseased plants. Saw you're in New Orleans chantell...I'm on the west bank. Ever go to rose garden center in Marrero?

Nope, never been. I don't spend much time on your side of the river though. I'm pretty set for now, though I'm planning on getting a few more aromatic herbs. Are you in any of the plant swapping groups on Facebook?

Reaction score
Nope, never been. I don't spend much time on your side of the river though. I'm pretty set for now, though I'm planning on getting a few more aromatic herbs. Are you in any of the plant swapping groups on Facebook?

Hmmm I'm on Facebook but I didn't know about plant swapping groups! Sounds good. I'm always making cuttings of my plants then when the take I don't know what to do with them haha.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hmmm I'm on Facebook but I didn't know about plant swapping groups! Sounds good. I'm always making cuttings of my plants then when the take I don't know what to do with them haha.

Find me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/chanell.gautreaux

I'm in two swapping groups, though one seems to be more active than the other. I hope to start some new plants from cuttings soon; I've just been busy setting up garden #2 (long story) and taking care of other things.

Reaction score
I just sent you a friend request. Thanks for letting me know about the plant swapping groups too. I sent a request to the new Orleans one and I noticed several others. Gonna check them out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I just sent you a friend request. Thanks for letting me know about the plant swapping groups too. I sent a request to the new Orleans one and I noticed several others. Gonna check them out.

I saw that and accepted. I also messaged you with a link to the more active gardeners swapping group. I only joined recently so I haven't met anyone or swapped yet, but they have regular get togethers to mingle with each other.

Reaction score
I saw that and accepted. I also messaged you with a link to the more active gardeners swapping group. I only joined recently so I haven't met anyone or swapped yet, but they have regular get togethers to mingle with each other.

Thank you my new FBF ! Check out some of my garden pics.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How exciting!! I love getting new plants during the spring. I have been meaning to get some succulents but have not had time to get to the store.

Reaction score
How exciting!! I love getting new plants during the spring. I have been meaning to get some succulents but have not had time to get to the store.

I have quite a few succulents and I always see more I like. They just can't stand a freeze in the winter and I hate dragging pots inside and out to protect them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have quite a few succulents and I always see more I like. They just can't stand a freeze in the winter and I hate dragging pots inside and out to protect them.

Maybe what you need is a small greenhouse or some cold frames. I put up one of those "portable" ones last year that came in a million pieces and it did the job okay for some plants. I lost a few others, but then I didn't put anything in it for heat. I probably should have put some outdoor Christmas lights in to help the temperature over night.

Reaction score
Awesome purchase! I bet you felt quite good when you got home with all those wonderful plants! Sorry about those monarch caterpillars, they're indeed wonderful, but I'll never like the idea of seeing them all over my plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
The Monarch caterpillars are a handful, but it's rewarding to see them become butterflies. I don't have as much time to dedicate to them this year as I had last year, so they will have to fend for themselves this time around. I have some carrot tops in water in preparation for the return of the eastern swallowtails, but I'm not going out of the way with them either.

Ask a Question