New member from Kentucky

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I just signed up here at Gardening-Forums and am excited to meet you all.
I currently live and garden in Kentucky USA Zone 6b.
Previous to moving to Kentucky in '07 I gardened in South Florida for over 30 years and maintain an interest in tropical and subtropical species. I even brought a large assortment of orchids and other tropicals to Kentucky with me- not the best idea as it costs a fortune to light them over the winter but sentimental attachments are difficult to break.
My current garden is on a fairly large property bordering my own little piece of woodlands. I do own giant breed dogs as well as, and view "gardening with dogs" as my primary area of expertise. It can be a challenge, but it is one I enjoy.
I keep an organic home and garden in theory. In practice I would perhaps resort to a chemical control if I found a special plant in dire circumstances, but only after trying other organic controls first, then researching my pest and chemical very carefully. It is not something I do often but don't want to represent myself as 100% organic and then have to backtrack, lol.

I keep most 6b species and enjoy having odd or hard to find cultivars- not much "same old same old" in my yard. I try to site them carefully so they don't need coddling- I do give extra care and protection during a plant's first year but after that they are largely on their own.

That's my story and I look forward to interacting with everyone here!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Welcome Hatchlynn! I'm new here and as a gardener. This is my first year, so I'm not able to give advice yet, but I'm learning a bunch :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome aboard! Great to have you here (y)

We have a fab new Organic Gardening forum section so be sure to check it out!

Ask a Question