new gardener here

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
Planted seeds. all looked great. I planted way to soon. I know that for next year. Butternut and spaghetti squash looked great but now are turning yellow. how do I fix this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Patience. When they grow they literally can outstrip their own ability to provide every little nutrient. In a human we call this gangley goofy period adolescence. Not to say they do not bear watching, but it is a common observation for recent plantings.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Also, make sure you are not overwatering! New gardeners tend to figure water must be good and more is better. Plants turning yellow is one of the first signs. :unsure:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
thank you zone 6. I probably do over water. planted seeds in coconut shells. it seems like the water just absorbs right away

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
You may want to water with a weakened water soluble full spectrum fertilizer. especially if the second set of leaves have come on. There is nothing in the starter mix usually unless you bought some where it was added.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
You may want to water with a weakened water soluble full spectrum fertilizer. especially if the second set of leaves have come on. There is nothing in the starter mix usually unless you bought some where it was added.

thank you. I bought a bottle of superthrive this morn. watering today. hopefully it gets these guys back on track

Gardening Girl

This is my garden several years back.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Planted seeds. all looked great. I planted way to soon. I know that for next year. Butternut and spaghetti squash looked great but now are turning yellow. how do I fix this?
Are you growing them inside? You say they are in coconut shells. If they are inside you need to give them light. You can go to the box stores and buy a fluorescent fixture. Keep it about 6" from the tops of the plants. I may be reading this wrong. Not sure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
Are you growing them inside? You say they are in coconut shells. If they are inside you need to give them light. You can go to the box stores and buy a fluorescent fixture. Keep it about 6" from the tops of the plants. I may be reading this wrong. Not sure.
growing inside have 2 fluorescent. they are about 6.5 inches away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
I know I started to soon, but I thought I would be able to get into the ground by now. We are expecting a frost on sat. I shouldn't have started the squash until about now. I started tomatoes to early also but those are still doing well. I gave them all fetilizer this morn. hopefully gets them back on track.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Cover them to protect from frost at night. Tarps work well on larger plants or beds and for little guys, like a squash, just get use some old kitchen items like coffee cans or cut in half milk jugs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
thank you all 1 lost 1 butternut squash but 11 other are looking much much better. getting them in the ground next week. superthrive works fyi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
update..

Spaghetti squash doing quite well have about 60 growing various sizes. I will know for next year to space them out a bit,but they kinda have made their own trellis out
of each other.

Butternut squash - I lost the 1st several squash they rotted off the fine. I put some calcium down and the second growing seems to be doing well. will know for next year butternut squash need more compost.

Ask a Question