Where are the indoor gardeners?

Reaction score
As soon as anyone walks through my front door they immediately notice my affinity for plants. I even get a little perturbed if I have a visitor and she does not compliment my plants, although I would never say anything.

I have been indoor gardening for the past 20 years and it's definitely one of my favorite hobbies. That's one reason why I was excited to join this forum. However, I don't see a lot of posts about houseplants. So where are the indoor gardeners?

Most of the threads in this forum pertain to outdoor gardening (which is nice) and vegetable gardening, which I really don't have a passion for, at least not yet. I like the beauty of plants and flowers.

Reaction score
I am an indoor gardener, all my plants are only in containers. This is all I can do in the city living in a high rise building. However, I guess there are enough threads about container gardening and glass jar gardening.,.. terrariums and such. Start up new threads and I am sure you will get a whole lot of discussion going .

Reaction score
I am an indoor gardener. I have a few of those hanging plants that I got for my birthday a few years ago. I also have Kale and Basil growing in a homemade hydroponic system on my bedroom window sill.

Reaction score
I made the post, or asked the question, "where are the indoor gardeners?", back on Nov 19, 2012. It's now Feb 19, 2013, three months later, and only two responses, and the second one was posted on yesterday. What does this suggest? It suggest that, while there may be a few indoor gardeners here, they don't appear to be as passionate about it as I am. I say that because the majority of the post on this forum are about outdoor and vegetable gardening.

I must say, I'm a bit disappointed. If there are passionate indoor gardeners out there, why are you not posting about it? If you look at the last few post pertaining to indoor gardening, on this forum, you'll see that most were posted by me. Come on guys, step up your game, indoor gardening is FUN, and I'm not talking about growing vegetables indoors, I'm primarily talking about Peace Lillies, Philodendrons, Orchids, Aglaonemas, Ponytail Palms, and many other houseplants.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Taskeinc, I am new to the forum I grow both outdoors and indoors. I have a Peace Lily right now that has only one bloom on it that does not seem to want to come to full bloom. I have had to keep the plant in the lower level which is cold during the winter because I have run out of space upstairs. I live with my daughter at the moment who is not as fond of plants as I am. I also have a pineapple plant that I started last summer, which will be put out in the yard as soon as it warms up.

Indoor gardening is fun, I like having a house full of plants. One of the things I am looking for in my new home is the ability to have a room for my plants like an Atrium.

Reaction score
Hi Taskeinc, I am new to the forum I grow both outdoors and indoors. I have a Peace Lily right now that has only one bloom on it that does not seem to want to come to full bloom. I have had to keep the plant in the lower level which is cold during the winter because I have run out of space upstairs. I live with my daughter at the moment who is not as fond of plants as I am. I also have a pineapple plant that I started last summer, which will be put out in the yard as soon as it warms up.

Indoor gardening is fun, I like having a house full of plants. One of the things I am looking for in my new home is the ability to have a room for my plants like an Atrium.

Indoor gardening is fun. I have plants in every room with a window. I have a couple of rooms that get little to no light from outside and those are the only rooms that don't have plants. I just think that plants do so much for a room because if you have a couple of nice plants, in decorative pots, in a room, you really don't need a whole lot of furniture. At least that's how I see it. Every day, practically all day (since I work from home), I am surrounded by lovely plants. I would not have it any other way. I will start on the outdoor garden this spring, and that will be plants and flowers. I am not into vegetable gardening. Most people on this forum, that's their primary form of gardening, and it's great, just not something I'm into. If I had acres of land, or a farm, I probably would set aside parts of it for a veggie garden, but I live in the suburbs. My next door neighbor grows beans and collard greens on the side of her house. It's nice, her veggies grow very well, but I'm glad I have bushes/hedges between my house and hers, because I don't like the look of greens and beans growing outside my window. That's just me.

Reaction score
Well, I already mentioned my reason for not indoor gardening yet.
I lived with my ex for a long time and he had a phobia of indoor plants and say them as dirty and riddled with earthworms and outdoor pests.
So I kept my plants outside to maintain harmony in the household.
Now that I'm single, I'm interested in having indoor plants as soon as I find an apartment and get settled. Maybe in a couple of months, this thread will have more posts from me about new plants, in the meantime I just look at your posts and admire your indoor plants.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The lady that lives behind me has a beautiful outdoor garden. She gave me a few cuts from her wondering jew that I still have. It has gone very well indoors, I well be happy when spring gets here the plant is taking over my bedroom. I have a sweet potato, I plant to start rooting, so that it will be ready to go outside by spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I think I can say I am an indoor gardener. I have some space in my parents garden just for myself but I prefer to focus on plants growing in my room - which means focusing on my lovely miniature roses:D . I'll never get bored with them, I love them so much but I'm not sure if I can start too many threads about them since not everybody is as obsessed as me:p

Reaction score
I think I can say I am an indoor gardener. I have some space in my parents garden just for myself but I prefer to focus on plants growing in my room - which means focusing on my lovely miniature roses:D . I'll never get bored with them, I love them so much but I'm not sure if I can start too many threads about them since not everybody is as obsessed as me:p

Anytime you're talking about plants and indoor gardening, I could never be bored. I'm just as obsessed as you are, if not more. Whether it be miniature roses or whatever. I have a web page and a blog specifically about plants, mostly indoor plants, so you could talk all day about indoor gardening and you would have my attention.

I am curious to know how you've been able to consistently grow your miniature roses. Are you seeing new growth? Is the growth fast or slow? Direct or indirect sun?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
During winter I keep them in the attic because they go dormant and need colder temperatures. During the rest of the year I keep them in my room on a windowsill. It's a west facing window so they have a lot of sunlight there but only in the second part of a day. I water them every day and lats year I was fighting with some nasty little insects so I had to wash their little leaves every day too which actually was quite relaxing:p . Roses grow really fast so there is always something interesting and new every morning:D

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I am an indoor gardener, all my plants are only in containers. This is all I can do in the city living in a high rise building. However, I guess there are enough threads about container gardening and glass jar gardening.,.. terrariums and such. Start up new threads and I am sure you will get a whole lot of discussion going .

Absolutely! Container gardening is a fantastic solution for urban living. Let's delve into topics like maximizing space, plant selection, and DIY terrariums. Starting new threads will surely ignite engaging discussions. Feel free to share your experiences and ideas

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Well, I already mentioned my reason for not indoor gardening yet.
I lived with my ex for a long time and he had a phobia of indoor plants and say them as dirty and riddled with earthworms and outdoor pests.
So I kept my plants outside to maintain harmony in the household.
Now that I'm single, I'm interested in having indoor plants as soon as I find an apartment and get settled. Maybe in a couple of months, this thread will have more posts from me about new plants, in the meantime I just look at your posts and admire your indoor plants.
Transitioning to indoor plants after living with someone fearful of them is a big step. I admire your patience and look forward to hearing about your indoor gardening journey once you're settled in your new apartment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, welcome to the forum.
If you click on 'Forums' at top left, then go down the list of forums 'Indoor Plants' is the twelfth one down, just after 'Roses'. Sorry, I don't know why nobody appears to have pointed to it before.

Ask a Question