New garden hut.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
It's not easy gardening on a hillside. I'm surprised the builders didn't terrace the gardens...but there again they probably wouldn't give up the time or money to do it.

I took this picture of someone's garden below, close to the area I was renting in when I first moved up here to the Highlands. It's amazing what you can achieve but hard work on the body. :) I now have my own place that is on a slope but fairly easy to work with.

059.JPG

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

WOW Sheal that garden isn't just steep it's ballistic. Whomever did all the work full credit it's richly deserved and I bet involved a lot of pain. I wouldn't ever terrace our garden because it goes uphill from the kitchen window so all we would see would be retaining walls; had it gone downhill then yes it would have been well worth terracing. Thanks for adding the picture which really cheers me up knowing I'm not alone. Our garden isn't as steep as that one but its plenty steep enough.

Kind regards, Colin.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The first thought that struck me when I looked at all those steps Sheal; get to the top and say "Oh dear I've left my tape measure in the workshop". :cry:

Kind regards, Colin.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A cold dark morning here this morning so do I sit at the keyboard and moan about the weather? Fed up of being dictated to by the weather I wrapped up well and got cracking; I soon forgot about the cold as I mixed the mortar and started lifting stones; I've just knocked off for dinner and outside its not only dark it feels like rain is due which is normal. I find the hardest part is getting off my backside to venture into the cold but at least I've got something to show for this morning as seen below. :D

Kind regards, Colin.

Hut_001_04.JPG

This corner was quite dangerous so needed sorting out.

Hut_003_05.JPG

This mornings work building the supporting wall.

Hut_004_04.JPG

Looking promising; the back of the wall will be filled with rubble then a paving flag will finish the job; it will look a lot better once completed; it's been difficult determining levels due to the sloping garden. in spite of the weather I've enjoyed this morning and if it doesn't rain work will resume after dinner. I'm using stones we have to hand. The mortar mix is 4 parts sharp sand and 1 part Portland cement with just enough water to make it workable; the finish is trowel then as it dries a bit it's brushed with a soft brush.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks mgmine; Logan and Sheal; much appreciated and I've now done more with a bit yet to completely finish the job.

Kind regards, Colin.

Hut_001_04.JPG

First thing this morning. It was cold outside and I didn't fancy doing anything.

Hut_002_05.JPG

I got off my backside and stopped moaning about the weather making an early start this morning; this is the result. More work yet to do but I'm too tired to carry on so have just knocked off. The new flags are yet to be bedded in mortar hence they look low; the the left of the flags there is just enough space between the flags and oak tree to make a sloping pathway. I'll let everything settle down before bedding the flags but next job will be the new pathway. The sun is finally shining but expected because I'm now indoors; I thought it was going to pour with rain earlier. I'll add finish pictures in due course.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for your compliment DrCase.

Thanks also mgmine. Thanks for asking; there's little by way of practical things I can't do; the hardest part is making a start. :)

This morning I cleared the area between the oak tree and the new hut so now the original path can continue without adding more steps.

Kind regards, Colin.

Hut_002_06.JPG

How it was. Please note how quickly the soil has dried to dust in spite of plenty recent rain.

Hut_002_07.JPG

How it now is with the new paving flags in position and the area between the oak tree and flags cleared diverting and extending the path.
A bit more tidying and job fully sorted at last. It's been interesting and mostly enjoyable but hard work.

Gail_68

Beauty blooms in the garden as well as the heart.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi @Colin sorry i've not been on line but just saw what you've done and a nice job well done (y) nice to see your other shed in order and to think of the mount of people out there that would love those chippings for rabbits :LOL:

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Nice to have you back again Gail; I hope you're keeping well; thanks for your compliment. When I was at work I allowed anyone who wanted sawdust and shavings for their pets to freely help themselves but to check with me first in case we'd been running a species of timber that might harm them. I do lots of shredding in the gardens but I'm careful where I use this as mulch because I shred lots of poisonous laurels.

Bron and I are animal lovers especially cats; we no longer have our own cat because vet bills finally made a cat much too expensive to own; we do still spend at least £20 per week on cat biscuits and bird peanuts.

Below is a picture I lifted from our CCTV night footage showing the two badgers who visit us every night; there used to be three of them.

Kind regards, Colin.

Garden_0002.JPG

Ask a Question