Garden Box Lining Question

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey all!

I built this garden box with cedar wood (with the exception of the legs), and before I fill it I am wondering if I should line it with plastic, landscape fabric, or nothing! I've seen all kinds by searching the web and I'm not sure which way to go as far as helping with drainage, wood rot, etc.

Would very much appreciate a tip or two as i've never done a box like this above ground! Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG-1166.JPG
    IMG-1166.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 158
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't know anything about this, but when that volume is sodden, it'll weigh a ton. Are you sure you want it on legs? If it was just a four sided box without a bottom and sitting on the ground, it would have less forces working on the materials breaking down over time, and no drainage problems after rains/freezing blow-out in winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It takes cedar forever to rot. I see no drainage holes which a container must have. When wet the wood will swell and become watertight and adding a plastic liner will do the same thing and if it doesn't drain your plants will get root rot. And I agree with @treeguy about the legs holding the weight. I think I would saw off the legs and place it on cinder blocks or something.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I don't know anything about this, but when that volume is sodden, it'll weigh a ton. Are you sure you want it on legs? If it was just a four sided box without a bottom and sitting on the ground, it would have less forces working on the materials breaking down over time, and no drainage problems after rains/freezing blow-out in winter.
Thanks for the response, I followed a plan made by someone who has had several of these in their yard for some time. The reason I wanted it elevated is to keep my dogs out without having ugly fencing around it.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
It takes cedar forever to rot. I see no drainage holes which a container must have. When wet the wood will swell and become watertight and adding a plastic liner will do the same thing and if it doesn't drain your plants will get root rot. And I agree with @treeguy about the legs holding the weight. I think I would saw off the legs and place it on cinder blocks or something.
Thanks for the response. Ok good to know. Yes I have drilled drainage holes in there after this picture was taken. It's built pretty sturdy and I followed a plan that's been used by someone for many years so I'm hoping it's fine. I may add a brace underneath in the middle.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Cedar will rot, especially if you didn't use heartwood so try to protect it. A good coating of paint would be better than nothing but the best would be an EPDM rubber liner. This is used in ponds and roofing. If you build another one a better choice would be pressure treated lumber. It's cheaper and will last a lot longer.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Cedar will rot, especially if you didn't use heartwood so try to protect it. A good coating of paint would be better than nothing but the best would be an EPDM rubber liner. This is used in ponds and roofing. If you build another one a better choice would be pressure treated lumber. It's cheaper and will last a lot longer.

Right. I thought of using pressure treated wood for durability but is that really what I want to use for something I’m growing food in?? Even with a liner?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The new PT wood does not use arsenic like the old stuff, although I didn't know that you were using it for food. Cyprus, redwood and heart pine would some other choices. I would line the cedar one and call it a day. But and there is always a but, depending on the cost it might be cheaper just letting it rot and building a new one in 8 or 9 years.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The new PT wood does not use arsenic like the old stuff, although I didn't know that you were using it for food. Cyprus, redwood and heart pine would some other choices. I would line the cedar one and call it a day. But and there is always a but, depending on the cost it might be cheaper just letting it rot and building a new one in 8 or 9 years.

Ok very good info to know! I think I know what I’ll do for the next one thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Cedar will root A LOT slower than anything else.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm using PT lumber for a raised vegitable garden. Granted it's not elevated, so only the sides are PT. no concerns with the new stuff, as you said.

Ask a Question