Rats for City Gardener

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I live in New York City, and am planning a backyard garden space. I am concerned rats will be an issue. My space is all cement, so there is no ground soil, however I will be using 4 large planter boxes (about 6 feet x 2.5 feet each). I was originally going to fill the large planters with soil, however I believe this will enable rates to create tunnels and nests. So now, inside each planter box, there will be three durable 15 gallon plastic pots (12 total).

I live around many restaurants, and I know rats are already present. I see them occasionally, and notice rat droppings outside. Being that rats are unavoidable in NYC, I am looking to see if anyone has experience and/or advice for this situation. I am not planning to plant any fruit or vegetable plants. Since I am using individual 15 gallon pots, I don't think tunneling/nests will be an issue, as they are not large enough to create multiple entrances for tunneling - but I could be wrong. I am also concerned the openings/gaps around the pots - within the planter boxes - may be space for rats to have shelter/nest.

I could staple wire mesh fence to the tops of the planter boxes and cut around larger plants. However, unless this is recommended, I don't want to do this as it will make gardening difficult. I've attached a picture of the space where you can see the planter boxes.

Thanks,
Matt

IMG_4130.PNG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi,

I live in New York City, and am planning a backyard garden space. I am concerned rats will be an issue. My space is all cement, so there is no ground soil, however I will be using 4 large planter boxes (about 6 feet x 2.5 feet each). I was originally going to fill the large planters with soil, however I believe this will enable rates to create tunnels and nests. So now, inside each planter box, there will be three durable 15 gallon plastic pots (12 total).

I live around many restaurants, and I know rats are already present. I see them occasionally, and notice rat droppings outside. Being that rats are unavoidable in NYC, I am looking to see if anyone has experience and/or advice for this situation. I am not planning to plant any fruit or vegetable plants. Since I am using individual 15 gallon pots, I don't think tunneling/nests will be an issue, as they are not large enough to create multiple entrances for tunneling - but I could be wrong. I am also concerned the openings/gaps around the pots - within the planter boxes - may be space for rats to have shelter/nest.

I could staple wire mesh fence to the tops of the planter boxes and cut around larger plants. However, unless this is recommended, I don't want to do this as it will make gardening difficult. I've attached a picture of the space where you can see the planter boxes.

Thanks,
Matt

View attachment 51711
These work really good. You might make a couple of them and set them around.

Ask a Question