New garden hut.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Esther for your continuing encouragement which I do appreciate. Over the years I've known many guys who have started jobs only to get out of their depth then walking away; there's been many TV programs showing such failures where a team has been called in to sort everything out; Once I start a job I stick with it whatever problems are thrown at me. This morning I had switched the TV from YouTube to the normal rubbish and changed into my workshop clothes when Bron told me there was something wrong with the TV; the picture was green; after much frustration the colours were back on so I wandered down to the workshop in the rain; Blackie my personal cloud had been waiting for me. At 10:30 I came up into the bungalow for a mug of tea to be greeted by a blocked toilet so another 30 minutes wasted sorting this out; I can't remember our toilet ever blocking previously; it never lets up when I want to get stuck into a project; anyway after dinner I finally settled down and have just knocked off.

Thanks Logan; yes it's built like the Titanic; I just hope it lasts longer.

It's kind of you Sean to suggest I put this hut project onto YouTube but I already struggle for time to keep up with forums and I like to respond to all replies to my threads; I should hate to offend anyone if they take the time and trouble to respond. You're doing well though with YouTube; good on you; well done.

Thanks mgmine for your useful suggestion; I like the hut roof to be just felted then it's easier to maintain but I understand what you mean.

Yes Esther; treated wood is a must for outside projects; this wood is soaking wet having been tanalized; I'm being very careful regarding personal safety; arsenic is often used in pressure treatments so I'm wearing dust mask and ear defenders; I'm also strictly adhering to hygiene with regards washing my hands before consuming food of any kind; another problem with treated wood is if it's being burned; treated wood is readily available but can pose serious health risks especially longer term? Thanks also for glitter man; yes definitely me and I glitter with the best of them.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I am glad your good about washing your hands. Some folks are not, it just unnerves me. Especially if I have dinner guest and they went to the bathroom, and you don't hear the water running in the sink after, and the towel is not move from where I left it hung. I just want to puke as they drift their hands over a serving bowl to scope out food for their plate. They quickly get off my list for a next dinner visit. My husband's brother is keen for that, but because I have known him for years and he does not have someone to cook him a good supper he will come over to "help" my husband with projects outdoors then when he comes inside he may sometime reach for a plate first, but quickly is stopped by me ---with a directive of "did you wash your hands" He knows better and hardly needs reminding of that. You wonder how he was raised. My husband has at least been trained in that area these years. the other thing is the toilet seat, keeping it down. another issue with me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
It's so important to regularly wash your hands. In the house I do it often as the medication thst my wife takes compromises her immune system.

For everyone, it's important when gardening. You hear tales of people who get blood poisoning and other illnesses, sometimes fatal, from small injuries that they get from gardening. I have had this in my former koi pool filter room since 1986. Hot and cold water supply, hand baisin, germicidal soap, nailbrush and some plasters and tea-tree oil in the cupboard for minor injuries. Oh! and now since the koi pool has gone, a kettle to make tea, or remedial Budweisers in the fridge to aid recovery.

P1020627.JPG

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I always wash my hands especially when I've dried the boys with a towel that i keep specially for them and it can get dirty from wiping their paws. :)

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I managed to survive my childhood; up to five years old no electricity in the home; gas and water only and cold water at that; hot water boiled in a kettle and a tin bath in front of the fire; single coal fire only with freezing bedrooms; my late father and grandfather were both coal miners; carbolic soap was very common and is still widely available;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbolic_soap

Kids in those days were tough and had to be. How times have changed; we now have a lovely car that virtually drives itself all I have to do is steer.

I buy lots of boxes of latex gloves from Rufforth Auto Jumble and get through these pretty quickly also I buy dozen pair packs of rigger gloves for heavy jobs. Boxes of dust masks and I also bought a Trend Airshield helmet for dusty work especially on the woodturning lathe;

These helmets are not cheap but at least can be bought unlike a new pair of lungs. I don't go mad regarding personal safety but if it feels wrong then I don't do it. I wear safety shoes whilst in the workshop and in the garden if its not raining.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am glad your good about washing your hands. Some folks are not, it just unnerves me. Especially if I have dinner guest and they went to the bathroom, and you don't hear the water running in the sink after, and the towel is not move from where I left it hung. I just want to puke as they drift their hands over a serving bowl to scope out food for their plate. They quickly get off my list for a next dinner visit. My husband's brother is keen for that, but because I have known him for years and he does not have someone to cook him a good supper he will come over to "help" my husband with projects outdoors then when he comes inside he may sometime reach for a plate first, but quickly is stopped by me ---with a directive of "did you wash your hands" He knows better and hardly needs reminding of that. You wonder how he was raised. My husband has at least been trained in that area these years. the other thing is the toilet seat, keeping it down. another issue with me.
Sounds like that episode of Seinfeld where Jerry was talking to the father of his girlfriend. The father was also the pizza maker and just walked out of the bathroom without washing his hands.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds like that episode of Seinfeld where Jerry was talking to the father of his girlfriend. The father was also the pizza maker and just walked out of the bathroom without washing his hands.

Reminds me of a situation on the golf course. In cold weather, I take a flask of hot Bovril, with an extra cup, so I can offer my partner some. When they give it back to me, I wipe it out with the towel hanging from my golf trolley, which I use to clean golf balls and the blades of my clubs after using them during the round. I usually say, "I'll save it for you for the next time we play."

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Today's update. My pet cloud and constant companion Blackie really takes a shine to me ensuring I'm not troubled by dust; I've just knocked off having been rained off; I was leaving a mud trail in my wake and I don't like to give my tools or me a good soaking. The timber couldn't be much wetter anyway; in spite of this dire weather I've made decent progress today; next big push will be to install the roof possibly tomorrow if Blackie lets up?

Kind regards, Colin.

Hut_001_01.JPG

A quick picture taken from the rear of the bungalow; I'm pleased with progress so far; this was just a pile of boards a few days ago. The laurels in the foreground used to be as tall as the oak tree seen on the left of the picture having gone ballistic; I brought them down to about 3' tall and now have control at last. It's been an horrible day regarding weather.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I like your style Esther. :)

I've already got my man cave being my workshop and it's crammed with all my toys which I delight playing with at every opportunity.

This hut will compliment the hut I built a couple of years ago and will be filled with gardening kit that is now spilling into my workshop. Petrol mowers; petrol hedge trimmer; petrol chainsaw; shredder; pressure washer; wheelbarrow etc; the more space I have the more I buy to fill it with; I'd love a huge warehouse then I could go mad buying industrial machines but I can dream on. ;)

Blackie has just wet me again; after being soaked whilst working on the hut today as soon as I knocked off so did Blackie; I've received a request for a meter reading so I've just visited the workshop and sure enough as soon as I stepped outside Blackie was eagerly waiting for me; GRRRRRRRR.

I lose the will to live. :cry:

Kind regards, Colin.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

What a shower the BBC weather forecasters are. Above can be seen the forecast for tomorrow I posted at 6:32.

Now at 9:53 here's the forecast for tomorrow; with luck by tomorrow morning we might be forecast an heat wave then I can crack on with my garden hut project? My preferred way of checking the weather is to look out of the window.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks like the start of an Air B&B. No need to look at the weather forecast. Just looking out the window I'm seeing SNOW. Come on it's almost May!

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I know what you mean mgmine; it's supposed to be BST (British Summer time) but as usual this is the biggest joke of the year.

It's been a grim day here with lots of rain and wind. Blackie is back on form soaking me each time I dare go outside and his sister Gale has given me a lot of grief too; early this morning as I looked out of the window watching the rain come down and the trees being blown around I thought it looks like a good morning to put the new hut roof on; I've just knocked off and the roof is now on. As I struggled up the stepladder screwing the roof boards into position I put my head above roof height and friendly Gale thought what fun to blow my hat into the bushes and Blackie cried with laughter as he wet my bare head.

Tomorrow I plan to make the hut door but sadly I'll be inside the workshop; I'm sorry to spoil Blackie's and Gale's fun but they'll no doubt be there whilst I hang the door in fact as I carry the door up to the hut I'm expecting it to behave like a kite. During one very heavy downpour I took shelter in the hut under the new roof section I'd just installed so good try Blackie I beat you this time. I get really sick of this bad weather.

It's time I bought a full set of waterproofs.

Kind regards, Colin.

Hut_001_02.JPG

I added a center roof truss to give strength; the hut is solid and won't blow around in the wind.

Hut_002_01.JPG

A picture from up the garden; please note the fields in the distance; there's a big valley between us and the fields; we enjoy beautiful panoramic views but at a price because we also suffer extremes of weather. More work yet to do adding the door; felt and fascia boards but at last the heavy work is behind me. The hut I made a couple of years ago can be seen to the right.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes they say British summer time starts when we change the clocks but it's really still spring, it won't be summer until the end of may.:)
I always take the weather a day at a time then I won't be disappointed.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Logan. :)

Yes BST starts end of March but Springtime doesn't end until end of May; why have things simple when they can be made complicated? ;)

British Summer Time but no British Winter Time instead we have Greenwich Mean time?

All the time I've been outside today the weather has been terrible but now I'm seated at the keyboard the sun is shining; I've enjoyed today so much I think I'll have an action replay tomorrow. :cry:

I'm just a simple soul trying to keep up.

Kind regards, Colin.

Ask a Question