New garden hut.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am glad your good about washing your hands. Some folks are not, it just unnerves me. Especially if I have dinner guest and they went to the bathroom, and you don't hear the water running in the sink after, and the towel is not move from where I left it hung. I just want to puke as they drift their hands over a serving bowl to scope out food for their plate. They quickly get off my list for a next dinner visit. My husband's brother is keen for that, but because I have known him for years and he does not have someone to cook him a good supper he will come over to "help" my husband with projects outdoors then when he comes inside he may sometime reach for a plate first, but quickly is stopped by me ---with a directive of "did you wash your hands" He knows better and hardly needs reminding of that. You wonder how he was raised. My husband has at least been trained in that area these years. the other thing is the toilet seat, keeping it down. another issue with me.
Sounds like that episode of Seinfeld where Jerry was talking to the father of his girlfriend. The father was also the pizza maker and just walked out of the bathroom without washing his hands.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds like that episode of Seinfeld where Jerry was talking to the father of his girlfriend. The father was also the pizza maker and just walked out of the bathroom without washing his hands.
Reminds me of a situation on the golf course. In cold weather, I take a flask of hot Bovril, with an extra cup, so I can offer my partner some. When they give it back to me, I wipe it out with the towel hanging from my golf trolley, which I use to clean golf balls and the blades of my clubs after using them during the round. I usually say, "I'll save it for you for the next time we play."

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Today's update. My pet cloud and constant companion Blackie really takes a shine to me ensuring I'm not troubled by dust; I've just knocked off having been rained off; I was leaving a mud trail in my wake and I don't like to give my tools or me a good soaking. The timber couldn't be much wetter anyway; in spite of this dire weather I've made decent progress today; next big push will be to install the roof possibly tomorrow if Blackie lets up?

Kind regards, Colin.

Hut_001_01.JPG

A quick picture taken from the rear of the bungalow; I'm pleased with progress so far; this was just a pile of boards a few days ago. The laurels in the foreground used to be as tall as the oak tree seen on the left of the picture having gone ballistic; I brought them down to about 3' tall and now have control at last. It's been an horrible day regarding weather.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I like your style Esther. :)

I've already got my man cave being my workshop and it's crammed with all my toys which I delight playing with at every opportunity.

This hut will compliment the hut I built a couple of years ago and will be filled with gardening kit that is now spilling into my workshop. Petrol mowers; petrol hedge trimmer; petrol chainsaw; shredder; pressure washer; wheelbarrow etc; the more space I have the more I buy to fill it with; I'd love a huge warehouse then I could go mad buying industrial machines but I can dream on. ;)

Blackie has just wet me again; after being soaked whilst working on the hut today as soon as I knocked off so did Blackie; I've received a request for a meter reading so I've just visited the workshop and sure enough as soon as I stepped outside Blackie was eagerly waiting for me; GRRRRRRRR.

I lose the will to live. :cry:

Kind regards, Colin.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

What a shower the BBC weather forecasters are. Above can be seen the forecast for tomorrow I posted at 6:32.

Now at 9:53 here's the forecast for tomorrow; with luck by tomorrow morning we might be forecast an heat wave then I can crack on with my garden hut project? My preferred way of checking the weather is to look out of the window.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks like the start of an Air B&B. No need to look at the weather forecast. Just looking out the window I'm seeing SNOW. Come on it's almost May!

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I know what you mean mgmine; it's supposed to be BST (British Summer time) but as usual this is the biggest joke of the year.

It's been a grim day here with lots of rain and wind. Blackie is back on form soaking me each time I dare go outside and his sister Gale has given me a lot of grief too; early this morning as I looked out of the window watching the rain come down and the trees being blown around I thought it looks like a good morning to put the new hut roof on; I've just knocked off and the roof is now on. As I struggled up the stepladder screwing the roof boards into position I put my head above roof height and friendly Gale thought what fun to blow my hat into the bushes and Blackie cried with laughter as he wet my bare head.

Tomorrow I plan to make the hut door but sadly I'll be inside the workshop; I'm sorry to spoil Blackie's and Gale's fun but they'll no doubt be there whilst I hang the door in fact as I carry the door up to the hut I'm expecting it to behave like a kite. During one very heavy downpour I took shelter in the hut under the new roof section I'd just installed so good try Blackie I beat you this time. I get really sick of this bad weather.

It's time I bought a full set of waterproofs.

Kind regards, Colin.

Hut_001_02.JPG

I added a center roof truss to give strength; the hut is solid and won't blow around in the wind.

Hut_002_01.JPG

A picture from up the garden; please note the fields in the distance; there's a big valley between us and the fields; we enjoy beautiful panoramic views but at a price because we also suffer extremes of weather. More work yet to do adding the door; felt and fascia boards but at last the heavy work is behind me. The hut I made a couple of years ago can be seen to the right.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes they say British summer time starts when we change the clocks but it's really still spring, it won't be summer until the end of may.:)
I always take the weather a day at a time then I won't be disappointed.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Logan. :)

Yes BST starts end of March but Springtime doesn't end until end of May; why have things simple when they can be made complicated? ;)

British Summer Time but no British Winter Time instead we have Greenwich Mean time?

All the time I've been outside today the weather has been terrible but now I'm seated at the keyboard the sun is shining; I've enjoyed today so much I think I'll have an action replay tomorrow. :cry:

I'm just a simple soul trying to keep up.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
I know what you mean mgmine; it's supposed to be BST (British Summer time) but as usual this is the biggest joke of the year.
You're living in the wrong place Colin. :) We're desperate for rain up here in the Highlands and have been for weeks apart from a few dribbles. In fact we haven't had any consistent rain for eighteen months. I had to have three mature trees removed last Autumn (around 50ft in height) and the chap that removed them tested their hydration - it was only 15%.

Back to your hut....despite the weather you're doing a grand job, it looks good and solid. (y)

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Desperate for rain Sheal; :( Please feel free to move to West Yorkshire; I'll guarantee you all the rain you can handle; last year we enjoyed a very rare summer because summer's here are usually cancelled; when I built the first hut in mid summer a couple of years ago; wind and rain wasn't good enough so it hailed on me as well; fortunately living here on the valley side we aren't troubled with flooding but during a cloudburst it's very impressive watching the water head down to the valley bottom; normally I wouldn't mind rain but once it starts it doesn't know when to quit; yesterday was cold with rain and wind; today is pleasant in the sunshine so I've been making the most of it whilst it lasts; this morning I made the hut door and this afternoon I've been in the garden pottering around getting sunburnt? Thanks for your kind comments.

No rain Sheal for 18 months; look at what we endure video taken last month and its all too common.

Thanks mgmine; yes it's come along nicely to say we only took delivery of the timber on Monday morning; it's about finished; I bought very heavy duty door hinges at last months Rufforth Auto Jumble these being secondhand; I'll paint them before installing them although the door is in position.

Kind regards, Colin.

Hut_003_01.JPG

If a poor workman blames his tools then I've no excuse. The big router is a bit of a beast and the cordless drill/driver is a joy to use doing a fantastic amount of work between battery charges each charge only taking half an hour; it's got a 4ah battery installed and I can use this same battery on my Makita hedge trimmer. I'll never grow up but my toys just get bigger.

Hut_004_01.JPG

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

More progress; the door is hung; new hasp & staple fitted and new cabin hook & eye fitted to hold the door open as required. Hopefully the felt will arrive tomorrow then I can finish the job. I've also just used the petrol mower my chum David kindly gave me a month ago; the mower would run five minutes then quit; I decoked it and installed a new magneto; David had sorted out the ful by installing a new carb; it now runs very sweetly indeed so I've got two petrol mowers; I can mow in stereo. :D

Kind regards, Colin.

Hut_001_04.JPG

A weeks hard graft often working in an hostile environment with rain and wind but I got there in the end. Last Monday the timber was delivered so it turned out to be a quick build. I'm now pleased and can relax.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
Desperate for rain Sheal; :( Please feel free to move to West Yorkshire; I'll guarantee you all the rain you can handle;
I hope you don't mind if I decline your offer as I know what it's like to live with. I moved from the Isle of Man two and a half years ago, one of the wettest and windiest places in Britain, so I can sympathise. I was out digging in the garden today and my soil is dust.

A grand job on the hut. (y) What will you use to coat it?

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Logan; I've already got plenty of projects lined up; two 13A double sockets to install outside the bungalow; stone steps to build by the new hut; woodturning and metal spinning etc; yes plenty to keep me busy and I'll keep posting the projects I'm working on.

Thanks Sheal; when it's nice weather here there's no other place I'd wish to live because it's beautiful on this valley side. Thanks for the compliment. I'm unsure yet how to finish this hut; the first hut I made a couple of years ago I used this;

https://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/product/barrettine-premier-wood-protective-treatment?gclid=Cj0KCQjw5J_mBRDVARIsAGqGLZDkYzf_a6NrmSK2fRHTudDE25lMA4INPdSPqXe0b9qAIxbyfM0OY6gaAgxdEALw_wcB

I'm considering painting both huts to colour match the bungalow using very expensive American Benjamin Moore paint at around £82 per US gallon; preservatives these days are about as much use as water?

Kind regards, Colin.

Hut_001.JPG

Last Monday this hut was a pile of boards. Now finished and roof felted today also I've added a strong bench type shelf to hold gardening tools.

Hut_002.JPG

Side picture; felt neatly trimmed.

Restored lamps._001.JPG

Whilst working on the hut project I managed to install the two coach lamps I spent so much time restoring having learned metal spinning whilst restoring them. I've also drilled the front and rear bungalow walls ready to accept outside 13A sockets; just the cable to buy for these. The paintwork is expensive American Benjamin Moore but well worth the money; it still looks new after three years of extreme weather and it was a joy to apply.

Sack carts_001.JPG

Last month whilst at Rufforth Suto Jumble I bought a nice sack cart to replace these old heavy sack carts.

Sack carts_002.JPG

Rather than dump the old sack carts I saved the wheels and axles disposing of the rest; these will possibly come in handy at a later date.

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question