Nettles to Liquid Nitrogen Feed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States

I wonder how much of it you would have to use before the liver toxicity kicked in. I used to use it blended with other herbs for colds and such (I vaguely remember it was supposed to be effective for coughs). In fact, it was one of the herbs in a supplement I used to buy. Wonder if they changed the formula... might explain why the store suddenly stopped carrying the supplement.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure, I used to eat it as a vegetable till I read about it. That was back in the 1980's Stopped eating it as i'm quite fond of my liver:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I started using it in the latter part of the 80s and probably stopped some time in the 90s. Never heard about the carcinogenic issue until now. Don't really have the growing space to dedicate to it anyway so I suppose it is just as well. I've read that hair adds nitrogen to the soil, though you can't really make a liquid from that, lol.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Clover & beans have nitrogen fixing nodules on the roots, but the best thing is a good thunderstorm, that fixes nitrogen straight from the air into the rain. Ever noticed how lush things look after a storm?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I'm going to be soaking handfuls of beans and tossing them into the compost from now on, lol. I'll also be pulling handfuls of clover when it comes up in the spring and tossing that in as well. Or perhaps I'll harvest the clover and save it to make a garden tonic. Most of my plants are in containers and with healthy enough soil mixes that I don't worry about deficiencies, but I have a few older things in need of repotting that may be in need of amendment.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It's only the roots of beans & clover, usually cut beans off and leave the roots in the soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That's why I was thinking to toss them into the compost. I find sprouts in there all the time and I just turn the soil with a hand cultivator and the baby plants get composted in with everything else. I assume most of those sprouts are grasses, but occasionally I can identify some food plants as well.

Ask a Question