Neighbourhood CATS!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You may not have issues with cats but many of your neighbors and all of us have. They are also MAJOR predators of birds, lizards, snakes and small mammals. They will kill even if they are well-fed. They cannot distinguish between endangered species and non-native exotic species. They are called HOUSE cats for a reason. They are not native to North America and don't belong loose. I love cats and dogs, but they both belong in fenced yards for dogs and enclosed spaces for cats. Period.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
You may not have issues with cats but many of your neighbors and all of us have. They are also MAJOR predators of birds, lizards, snakes and small mammals. They will kill even if they are well-fed. They cannot distinguish between endangered species and non-native exotic species. They are called HOUSE cats for a reason. They are not native to North America and don't belong loose. I love cats and dogs, but they both belong in fenced yards for dogs and enclosed spaces for cats. Period.
Nope, as I said, my neighbors wondered where they were, they missed my cats, they said they are over loaded with the rabbits. MY neighbors missed my cats. Not one of my neighbors in the 20 years ever complained about my cats. In fact there are a few that are feeding some strays in hopes to keep some around, and getting them fixed. So your statement "many of your neighbors and all of us have" is incorrect. and there is no such thing as "all".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I was talking about the other posters. Just because your neighbors haven't said anything, doesn't mean they haven't been bothered. If you live in a neighborhood with large yards and don't have 20-30 neighbors within 100 yards of your front door, you have very few neighbors to hear from.
Cats still belong in controlled situations, indoors or in a "catio".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I saw a system advertised that had a motion detector trigger a high power water jet. Must admit I thought that was a bit OTT, I'm not anti cat, I just want to enjoy the garden.
Yes it’s not the cats fault that the owners are irresponsible. I wouldn’t want to hurt the cat, just give it a good scare letting it know it’s unwelcome.
For the OP, what might help, if feasible, is to sign up for a neighborhood watch forum and if possible, reach out to the cats owners letting them know you are having issues with their pets.
While cats may have their place outdoors on a working farm for rodent control, they are not welcome in a neighborhood with gardens and children. Spreading disease, breeding unchecked ( if left unaltered) and destroying property ( a good garden isn’t cheap!)
Not to mention as another poster stated that cats will kill birds, including rare or endangered species.
If appealing to the owners doesn’t work then perhaps contacting your local animal control might be worth a shot.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cats are lovely, and so are dogs - I have rescued and re homed many small dogs,mostly Yorkshire Terriers. I don't have a problem with loving the animals. It's more the thoughtless, selfish, **!!**:rage: neighbour who only worries about herself, and sod everyone else.
We have one of those neighbours at the moment who moved in recently with about a dozen or more cats and four very large dogs. The cats do as they like and create havoc for everyone in our little village, while the dogs bark non-stop all day and into the night - starting at the crack of dawn. They are allegedly brought here from a farm after a divorce situation. The poor dogs don't get exercised and are bored stiff. The cats are all very skinny except for one - and I hope and pray she is not pregnant.
Although the situation is difficult in every possible way, we can see no solution. It is their OWNER who is the pest, and needs to be dealt with..... :unsure:....tempting but not legal.
If using nets in the garden, please use well secured metal ones. Wildlife, especially hedgehogs can be brutally maimed and killed with loose plastic netting - I've seen some results - horrifying!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have successfully used chicken wire and hardware cloth just laid on the ground (both come on rolls of 3-4' wide). As seedlings emerge you can lift the wire with stones or pieces of lumber to keep them them from tangling in the wire. When the plants are big enough to fend for themselves remove it and hang it some where. It's reusable.

Ask a Question