Cats and dogs feces, what are the dangers?

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Ive been removing some dirt in a certain corner of the garden where i intent to place my wood pallet compost bin, which i yet have to build.
I put down the grass clippings and dry leaves i already had laying around, and saw my cat pooping there after the next day.

Im going to build the pallet bin, but what should I do about the already existing feces in the current (very small) pile and others scattered around the garden? Will it harm my plants somehow?

I dont grow any food in my garden for now, but would grow it in raised beds in the future fix the problem?

Are there any rules people with lots of dogs and cats (like me) must follow to keep their garden healthy?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ive been removing some dirt in a certain corner of the garden where i intent to place my wood pallet compost bin, which i yet have to build.
I put down the grass clippings and dry leaves i already had laying around, and saw my cat pooping there after the next day.

Im going to build the pallet bin, but what should I do about the already existing feces in the current (very small) pile and others scattered around the garden? Will it harm my plants somehow?

I dont grow any food in my garden for now, but would grow it in raised beds in the future fix the problem?

Are there any rules people with lots of dogs and cats (like me) must follow to keep their garden healthy?
Fresh manure from anything should not be used in the garden. The reason being that parasite eggs might get on the produce and if ingested give a person worms. Another reason is the chance of E. Coli. Feces from any carnivore should not be allowed in the garden

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Train dog or cat to use one spot inside or outside and use cat litter for both. Failing that securely fence off with wire mesh the areas you wish to grow fruit and veg in.
Worm your cats and dog as recommended by your vet.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Cats and dogs feces, what are the dangers?​

Various types of worms and liver flukes which can be debilitating. Potentially blindness.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom

We have four Beagles.

We do our best to pick up after them but it's a never ending job and inevitably you miss some. Unless you have children I honestly don't think you should worry about a little bit. Especially if your pets are worm free etc.
Ultimately, it will break down into compost. We've started picking ours up and putting it into a bin with a lid. We use the same approach as you'd use for human compost - put a bit of sawdust in every time you make a new deposit. When the bin is full, leave it for a year and start filling a new bin. After a year your compost (human or animal) is compost. I wouldn't put it on veg just in case, but good for use on plants.

EDIT: Detailed info here https://myhomemyglobe.com/is-dog-poop-good-fertilizer-for-vegetable-or-flower-garden/

Ask a Question