Nederlands 2014 (tulips!)

Reaction score
When you have the chance you should do a quick read up on it. The history of how it happened and the aftermath is really fascinating.

Did you read that in a book? I'm always interested to learn news things, specially when it comes to history :) If you recommend me the book I will look into it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I can almost smell them! Gorgeous.
My Uncle Ype is from the Netherlands. He and my aunt go back usually once every two years or so to visit family and the tulips just beg to be photographed. I can't get enough of them. Maybe I'll get lucky and they can bring me ho some bulbs. Are you allowed to transport them out of the country? Or maybe they could ship me some. I'm betting they could get good deals on them given the vast amount there. Do you know if they are cheaper?

Reaction score
Hi there! I have seen some really cheap bulbs being sold even at the Action :O I'm sure you have heard about it (that store), there are so many of them all over the Netherlands! I saw several bulbs (already in a box ready for gifting) for a couple euros! 2 euros or so I think? That place is so cheap. Sadly, no, they don't allow that :( The TSA is so strict. But they can definitely be shipped :) Sometimes when the season is over there are sales! A looooooooooooooooot bulbs for very little, mostly leftovers, but you can still find a lot variety since some companies have an amazing quantity of bulbs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Hi! Long time no see! And thank you :) I only wished I had a better camera back then, some people took some really profesional ones, can you believe one person even used a tripod? :LOL: My favorite ones had to be the pink frilled ones, as well as the lilac ones. I also liked the ones with red on the bottom and whitish pinking on top :) So hard to choose!
I know, it's an impossible choice, they all are very beautiful:) I think I wouldn't be sad if for some reason I could only grow tulips. You can never get bored with them, there are so many lovely tulip varieties:love:

Reaction score
@claudine Yes, had you ever seen the frilled ones before? To be honest I had no idea they even existed until I saw them there :O I thought they looked so beautiful even more in person! I'd love to grow some of those :) It was a small tulip expo because it was winter, but I can't wait to visit one during the spring :love: Can you imagine? I hope by then I have a good camera!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Did you read that in a book? I'm always interested to learn news things, specially when it comes to history :) If you recommend me the book I will look into it.
Checking our bookshelf and can't find it. My husband has lent it to quite a few people as he found it so interesting, hopefully the book will make it back. I haven't actually read it myself, having been content with his synopsis. I think maybe I should make an effort to read it if it returns home. I just googled it...Tulipomania: The Story of the World's Most Coveted Flower and the Extraordinary Passions It Aroused by Mike Dash, first published 2000. Hope you find it

Reaction score
@DeborahJane Thanks a lot, lol, what a small world... I never thought there would be an entire book dedicated to tulips :O I will definitely check it out as soon as I can! I love that kind of things, the tulip is the national flower of the Netherlands so I should really read that book :p Might learn a couple new facts ;) Ok, probably a lot new facts :p

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
@DeborahJane Thanks a lot, lol, what a small world... I never thought there would be an entire book dedicated to tulips :O I will definitely check it out as soon as I can! I love that kind of things, the tulip is the national flower of the Netherlands so I should really read that book :p Might learn a couple new facts ;) Ok, probably a lot new facts :p
I love learning new things too Trellum. The trouble with me is a tend to forget them once I don't need them in my daily life

Reaction score
@DeborahJane That happens to me too, even with languages! I need to keep using those languages one way or another on a daily basis or odds are I will get rusty D:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
@claudine Yes, had you ever seen the frilled ones before? To be honest I had no idea they even existed until I saw them there :O I thought they looked so beautiful even more in person! I'd love to grow some of those :) It was a small tulip expo because it was winter, but I can't wait to visit one during the spring :love: Can you imagine? I hope by then I have a good camera!
Actually, some of those tulips that I tried to grow indoors were frilled. Unfortunately, they never bloomed:cry: It's such a pity. I'm sure they would look absolutely beautiful.
Visiting a tulip expo in spring must be a wonderful experience:love:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Lovely tulips and pictures Trellum. Even with all the different types and colours, there is still something to be said for a plain white elegant tulip. :)

Reaction score
Beautiful lots of color some I have not seen before.

I'm glad you liked them :) There were many tulip varieties and colors I had never seen before, not even online, because I had no idea they even existed. Like for example the frilled ones :O

Reaction score
Lovely tulips and pictures Trellum. Even with all the different types and colours, there is still something to be said for a plain white elegant tulip. :)

Thank you, I'm glad you liked them, I only wish I had a better camera for the occasion, but it's ok because I'll probably go to a lot of those events in the next year (y) So hopefully I'll get more nice pictures for you guys :)

Reaction score
Actually, some of those tulips that I tried to grow indoors were frilled. Unfortunately, they never bloomed:cry: It's such a pity. I'm sure they would look absolutely beautiful.
Visiting a tulip expo in spring must be a wonderful experience:love:

Do you have that kind of expos in Poland as well? If you don't have that I¿m sure you have other kind of event involving other kind of flower and plants. I must admit the idea of moving to the Netherlands wasn't something I completely embraced at first, but I changed a bit of mind when I saw all those plants! They have the nicest garden centers ever! I had never seen so many plants in one place, it was a dream come true o_O I mean, they garden centers seem to be muuuuuuuch bigger than they grocery shops, lol.

Ask a Question