Garden Harvest August 2014

Reaction score
The tomatoes, cucumbers, corn, beans, and melons continue to grow, and usually harvest from these daily or weekly.

The potatoes are finally ready to be harvested. James dug up a small patch for us to eat, and they were delicious with some of our beans and corn and some sliced tomatoes.

The second lettuce crop is not growing as quickly. The spinach isn't growing quickly either. I assume it has something to do with shading issues, but really there is a lot of sun that hits the garden throughout the day, and we have had a lot of rain in the last month since I planted them. At the rate the spinach and lettuce are going, I expect to harvest them in the next two to three weeks.

The kale is doing well but not quite ready to eat.

I also grew some broccoli in buckets--which I intended to transplant to the garden--but it seems the bugs ate every single broccoli (nearly 300 broccoli plants).

Below I have posted pictures of the tomato, squash, corn, pepper, and cucumber harvests...

08/25/14 squash, corn, cucumber harvest

08/05/14

08/07/14 tomato harvest

08/06/14 harvest

08/20/14 harvest

proxy

08/17/14 harvest

08/18/14 harvest

08/09/14 harvest

08/10/14 harvest

08/11/14 harvest

08/15/14 harvest

08/18/14 harvest

potato harvest 08/18/14

strawberries from the garden and random peach

cantaloupe harvest 08/20/14

cantaloupe harvest 08/18/14

Refer to last months garden harvest here Garden Harvest as of July 2014 to see the diversity of food each month.
Original Post @ Garden Harvest August 2014

-Cassie K, Vegans Living Off the Land

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Cassie K, reading your posts about vegetables and fruits always makes me hungry. These tomatoes, cucumbers, beans, potatoes, strawberries and melons look beyond delicious.
You have a truly wonderful garden:D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Cor, fantastic (y)

Is that the remains of Bordeaux mixture on the Tomatoes?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
These look so delicious! I loved the cantaloupes and tomatoes! Aww I feel jealous. I wish that I have a garden as beautiful as yours. What do you do with all of your harvests? By the way, how can I grow kale?

Reaction score
These look so delicious! I loved the cantaloupes and tomatoes! Aww I feel jealous. I wish that I have a garden as beautiful as yours. What do you do with all of your harvests? By the way, how can I grow kale?
Thank you for your comment.
my partner and I are vegan so we eat literally everything in the garden fresh, raw, and ripe. of course we steam the potatoes.
Kale is really easy to grow, in fact it can be sown now before Frost. It will be a small harvest and the leaves will be quite small. Kale is more of a cool weather crop. It will grow in the worst soils, but it will grow large-and-in-charge if you add mulch and compost around the plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Thank you for your comment.
my partner and I are vegan so we eat literally everything in the garden fresh, raw, and ripe. of course we steam the potatoes.
Kale is really easy to grow, in fact it can be sown now before Frost. It will be a small harvest and the leaves will be quite small. Kale is more of a cool weather crop. It will grow in the worst soils, but it will grow large-and-in-charge if you add mulch and compost around the plants.

I see. It's just that I haven't seen kale here in the Philippines before. I visit seedling banks, but they don't have kale. That's why I was wondering if they grow from seeds. I want to grow this leafy green because I have read many articles online about its various health benefits.

Reaction score
I see. It's just that I haven't seen kale here in the Philippines before. I visit seedling banks, but they don't have kale. That's why I was wondering if they grow from seeds. I want to grow this leafy green because I have read many articles online about its various health benefits.

I always grow kale from seed.

Reaction score
Kale is amazing! The curly kale is very crunchy. I don't know how cold it gets in the Philippines, but it tastes better after a frost so it won't be as sweet if it doesn't get cold weather.

Those cantaloupes look great Cassie K!

Ask a Question