Near death stromanthe

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here's the story: I've wanted a stromanthe sanguinea for a long time but could not find one in any of my nearby stores and online are way too expensive. Until one day, wandering my local Lowe's garden center, I noticed wasting away in the clearance section were a couple of the saddest and driest stromanthe's I've ever seen. BUT these burnt, root bound, spiderweb covered babies were only $4. Since it was cheap, I decided to run the risk and see if I could help save it. I shared a picture of her now after I chopped off a bunch of her crusty and dead parts, sprayed her down with insecticide, and repotted her with some fresh soil in a slightly bigger pot. She's outside in a covered area because its been a really rainy, humid week which I thought she'd enjoy. I just wanted to ask around to see if anyone has experience with this plant in particular or saving others from the brink of death. Thank you!
20200809_203024.jpg
20200809_203009 (1).jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Big decision, but I would be tempted to propagate that. Although it cannot be done with cuttings as such, it could be divided. It would be interesting to see which bits of root look healthiest, and give those a good start with smaller pots and fresh compost.
As you will already be aware, this is one that likes the top of the compost to dry out a bit before watering, although as it has been badly neglected a good drink to start off with might benefit. Wish you luck - let us know what you decide will you?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Big decision, but I would be tempted to propagate that. Although it cannot be done with cuttings as such, it could be divided. It would be interesting to see which bits of root look healthiest, and give those a good start with smaller pots and fresh compost.
As you will already be aware, this is one that likes the top of the compost to dry out a bit before watering, although as it has been badly neglected a good drink to start off with might benefit. Wish you luck - let us know what you decide will you?
great suggestion! i think i will try that. i'll give it some time to relax and see if any new growth shows signs of recovery. i will definitely post an update, probably to this same thread. thanks!

Ask a Question