My amaryllis came back from near death and has flowered

Reaction score
My mother was going to throw the bulb out last autumn because it was getting old and very straggly, but I like to give everything a chance. She was very skeptical when she saw me chop all the leaves off and most of the roots, then then wrap it in paper and a plastic bag to transport it in my hand luggage, courtesy of my favourite budget airline. It looked a bit dried out when I got home three days later but I planted it anyway. A couple of months later I was pleased to see signs of life when a leaf appeared, and this week, to my mother's amazement, it flowered - success!

100_2242.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Brilliant news! Worth the effort, that's a gorgeous flower :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
That is a totally beautiful amaryllis , and that is wonderful that it came back. Here in the South, we can actually grow them as an outside plant, and I had one that I got on clearance at Christmas, and watched it bloom, and then died down to just the leaves. That summer, I planted it outsiide, and it blossomed not once, but twice ! I ended up leaving it when I moved, but I am hoping to get another one and grow them again. They are one of my favorite flowers. Here is a picture of the one I planted out in the flower bed, and in bloom.
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Papillon - I always try to rescue dying plants too. It's such a wonderful feeling to know that I was able to help them. It's a beautiful flower!:D
Taskeinc - I love this picture, it's gorgeous. It must be great to grow such magnificent plants outdoors.

Reaction score
Two years ago I tucked an amaryllis that was finished blooming in with some annuals, I thought the foliage would add interest to the flowers and it did. Well,, I never got around to digging that bulb up that fall, and to my shock it grew and bloomed the next year! I had always thought that amaryllis were tropical plants but apparently not! If the bulb survives this particularly nasty winter I shall have to move it to a spot where it will not be disturbed.

I live in zone 5 and we get a lot of cold weather. We get below zero weather most years (-17 Celsius).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
That great to here Papillon and a plant for free.

I am just waiting for mine to,bloom.

Reaction score
My mother was going to throw the bulb out last autumn because it was getting old and very straggly, but I like to give everything a chance. She was very skeptical when she saw me chop all the leaves off and most of the roots, then then wrap it in paper and a plastic bag to transport it in my hand luggage, courtesy of my favourite budget airline. It looked a bit dried out when I got home three days later but I planted it anyway. A couple of months later I was pleased to see signs of life when a leaf appeared, and this week, to my mother's amazement, it flowered - success!

View attachment 534

That is a gorgeous flower. Congratulations on bringing it back from the dead. You did a great job with it. I feel sorry for plants that are struggling too and do my best to salvage them.

Reaction score
That is a totally beautiful amaryllis , and that is wonderful that it came back. Here in the South, we can actually grow them as an outside plant, and I had one that I got on clearance at Christmas, and watched it bloom, and then died down to just the leaves. That summer, I planted it outsiide, and it blossomed not once, but twice ! I ended up leaving it when I moved, but I am hoping to get another one and grow them again. They are one of my favorite flowers. Here is a picture of the one I planted out in the flower bed, and in bloom.View attachment 553
I'm jealous that you can grow amaryllis outdoors, and have it re bloom. They are one of my favorite plants and I grow a ton of them except they are indoors here in the northeast. Still, they give me a wonderful burst of color on the cold and dreary days of January and February which is wonderful.

Reaction score
That is a totally beautiful amaryllis , and that is wonderful that it came back. Here in the South, we can actually grow them as an outside plant, and I had one that I got on clearance at Christmas, and watched it bloom, and then died down to just the leaves. That summer, I planted it outsiide, and it blossomed not once, but twice ! I ended up leaving it when I moved, but I am hoping to get another one and grow them again. They are one of my favorite flowers. Here is a picture of the one I planted out in the flower bed, and in bloom.View attachment 553

That is a stunning plant. I love the fuchsia stripes. Thank you for sharing your photo.

Reaction score
Congratulations :) I had a similar experience with my calla lilies, the only difference is that they weren't close to dying, but they seemed to be dormant for a while, not blooming and looking very pale. Now they are so big and beautiful! Congrats on your amaryllis :) It truly is a beautiful plant and you should feel really proud for having done such a wonderful work!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
When ever I see a dying plant I have to give it a chance to come back to life. Most people just want to go ahead that throw it out, most of the time it works. I like to wrap the roots in a damp paper towel then put the plant in a sealed plastic bag let it steam up for a few days and then plant it in soil.

Reaction score
Absolutely gorgeous. I had saved a spider plant... someone left it on the ground and it was wilting, but then I did a novice gardener act and put it in a pot too big for it, with possibly too much or not enough drainage, and it died :(

Reaction score
Alas, it was -10 Fahrenheit last winter (-23 Celsius) and my amaryllis died! DANG that was cold outside!

I will try some in the flower bed, as it almost never gets that cold!

Reaction score
Alas, it was -10 Fahrenheit last winter (-23 Celsius) and my amaryllis died! DANG that was cold outside!

I will try some in the flower bed, as it almost never gets that cold!

Although we grow amaryllis both inside and outside where I live - we more often than not tend to grow them outside rather inside and although - 23 C would I think be a touch too much cold for most amaryllis varieties - as mine do manage to survive temperatures of -12 C and sometimes more - if you have a flower bed that never gets cold - I would go ahead as you said and plant your amaryllis there - as I feel more than sure that they would survive and reward you each year with an abundant display of blooms - especially as the longer they remain undisturbed the more they multiply :)

Ask a Question