Unknown Shrub/Tree Growing Near Yard?

RsTgardenian

Novice gardener and tree admirer
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So this growing tree/tall plant is by some pine trees next to my yard and I was just wondering what kind of plant it was? It looks like it could be a young tree but I'm not sure. There's a bunch of black walnut trees around my house so I'm wondering if that's what it could be... Does the leaf shape give anything away?

Thanks!

Unknown_Plant_Whole.jpeg
unknown_plant_branch.jpg
Unknown_Plant_Close_Leafstem_View.jpg
unknown_plant_upper_branches.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Looks to be an Ash-leaved Maple, also known as a Boxelder. My neighbors have some and I have a 6' or 8' one in my backyard.

They're fast growing trees, they're native, and wildlife in my neighborhood seems to really enjoy them.
They do self-seed quite a bit like maples tend to do, and they are somewhat short-lived. Being short-lived isn't a problem, but it's not the type of tree you'd want planted next to a house.

RsTgardenian

Novice gardener and tree admirer
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks JB and Twigs for the info. The first thing that comes to mind when I hear of boxelders is the the bug associated with the tree, which I think has been a pest insect in our area in the past. Maybe it's a good time to remove it before it can grow any bigger and further establish itself there.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The first thing that comes to mind when I hear of boxelders is the the bug associated with the tree, which I think has been a pest insect in our area in the past.

Box elder bugs actually like just about any type of maple tree, though they did name the bugs after that specific tree.

Ask a Question