JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thought I'd share some photos I've taken over the past week of my native garden. Nearly all plants are native to my specific area, and all are native to the US. I thought it would be a good day to highlight some of my species in bloom.

Black-eyed Susan. You can't have a native garden without these. They're the most popular prairie plant along with Purple Coneflowers.
IMG_2852 (2) coopy.jpg

IMG_2712 copy.jpg

Spiderwort. It adds much needed blue to the garden. Bees and flies enjoy it most.
IMG_2860 copy.jpg

Blanket Flower. This is not native to my area, but is a US native and does grow in the wild here in Wisconsin. It also benefits local insects, so it's welcome in my native garden. All kinds of insects use this one!
IMG_2877 (2) copy.jpg

Orange Milkweed. There aren't many orange-flowered prairie plants. This is one of the brightest orange flowers there is, though some are more towards the red side, and some are more towards the yellow side. Monarch butterflies lay their eggs on these.
IMG_2867 copy.jpg

This next photo is not in my native garden, but over by my pond, where I have another Orange Milkweed tucked behind Blanket Flower. This Monarch Caterpillar has been growing quickly and I expect it'll wander off at any moment to form its chrysalis.
IMG_2827 copy.jpg

Blazing Star. Bumble Bees are a huge fan of these. Butterflies and Hummingbirds also show up to it. If you don't know what this is, it looks like a large fluffy pink stalk. This was the last healthy group of flowers before the plant's blooming period comes to an end.
IMG_2711 copy.jpg

Long-headed Coneflower. This is a new addition for me. It's another plant that is US-native but not considered native to Wisconsin, even though it grows in the wild here. It is native to nearby states, so, like Blanket Flower, I gave it a pass. Another welcome addition to my garden.
IMG_2866 copy.jpg

IMG_2859 (2) copy.jpg

IMG_2716 copy.jpg

Hope you enjoy! I'm looking forward to next year when so many more of my prairie plants finally flower! I have about 20 different species and the majority won't bloom until next year. I'm also adding a few more by seed over winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Your long headed cone flower should bring the Gold finches, This is the first year that I've seen more that one Gold finch. there has been 2 pair hanging out in the flower bed where the cone flowers are.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Your long headed cone flower should bring the Gold finches, This is the first year that I've seen more that one Gold finch. there has been 2 pair hanging out in the flower bed where the cone flowers are.

I get a lot of goldfinches here already. I'll have to see if they go over by it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Beautiful, JB! I really like your gardening philosophy. :)
If cone flowers bring goldfinches, I will plant some for next year. I put out thistle for the gold finches and indigo buntings but I think I only have one pair of each here. Would love to see more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Gosh, what a beautiful variety! Lovely to see the Monarch caterpillar looking so happy too (y)

Reaction score
You ave one of the most beautiful gardens I have ever seen, it's so nice you decided to have a ''theme'' garden using only native plants. I loved your brown-eyed Susan plan, all of your plants are gorgeous, specially the spiderwort and the milkweed. I loved the picture with the monarch caterpillar, I can tell that caterpillar has been having so much fun around the pond ;)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You ave one of the most beautiful gardens I have ever seen, it's so nice you decided to have a ''theme'' garden using only native plants.

Thanks! Only about 1/3 of my plant species are blooming this year. I have about different 20 species in total. Most should bloom next year, and all by the third year. Regardless of where anyone lives, native plants are the best way to go! Huge benefit to wildlife, and they blend together better than the average garden center plants!

Reaction score
Thanks! Only about 1/3 of my plant species are blooming this year. I have about different 20 species in total. Most should bloom next year, and all by the third year. Regardless of where anyone lives, native plants are the best way to go! Huge benefit to wildlife, and they blend together better than the average garden center plants!

I might do the same with my new garden once I move to the Netherlands :) I'm curious to see how a ''native'' dutch garden would look like :) I think it's great to garden with a theme in mind (y) I'll try to do that, but with much less space, wish me luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
All those plants are absolutely beautiful. Looking at them is very relaxing:) My favorite is Spiderwort. I've never seen anything like it in person.
The Monarch caterpillar looks very happy, it's great that you didn't kill it. I hope it will turn into a beautiful butterfly soon:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh beautiful flowers and a fantastic collection of colors too! I love the long-headed coneflower as I have not seen one around here! Got to look into this :) They are gorgeous!

Ask a Question