Texas native

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
This is the time of year that the native ruellia starts to bloom. We have it in our yard, in flowerbeds, in the barn lot, and in the pasture. It's known as "Mexican Petunia" but is really ruellia britonnia. It spreads like crazy and we just let it go where it wants. No need to fight a losing battle!
Native Ruellia.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
They look quite pretty though, bet the bees love them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
@marlingardener This is really ridiculous for me, because here ruellia is sold in pots as a house plant.:D

I see ruellia on the windowsills in offices, hospitals, kindergartens ... And seeds in the "seeds of house plants" department, with blue and pink flowers. Our ladies gardeners carefully take care of this, fertilize, trim and stimulate flowering. At a time when ruellia grows literally like a weed for you! :D:D:D

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mexican Bluebell or Mexican Petunia (Ruellia simplex, formerly R. brittoniana) is native to much of the warmer parts of the Americas, from the southeastern U.S., down to South America. Not closely related to Petunia, it is instead a member of the large Acanthus family (Acanthaceae). A floriferous beauty, this species is also available in shades of pink and white, though violet-purple is the most common wild type, and my favourite. I keep a large container of it on my patio, still in bloom in late October.

Ask a Question