JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Native gardening and habitat restoration is becoming more and more common. I'm seeing it everywhere. People want to use their yards to restore a piece of habitat that helps connect wildlife to larger local habitats. Getting started on it can be confusing, but it's easier than it appears. I can't stress it enough, I knew nothing about gardening or plants when I started mine.

So what's the best way to get started?

In my opinion, the best thing you can do before creating your native garden is to go visit and learn about your local habitats and restorations. You'll want to emulate much of what you see locally. Find habitats that resemble the kind of conditions that exist in your own yard. See what types of native species are found in those habitats and make them a priority for your garden. Do additional research to find what species are rare in your area. You may want to add a few "endangered" or "special concern" species (I specifically grow Sisyrinchium angustifolium because it's rare in my state). Visit those local habitats in Spring, Summer, and Autumn. Every few weeks, new plants will bloom and you'll have a greater understanding of what you can grow. Winter will help you see things differently. You'll see the seed heads standing tall that birds will feed from. You'll see rotted logs that were previously hidden under plant growth. Logs shelter amphibians, reptiles, and invertebrates.

I'd also recommend finding out which local watershed you're in. My state has dozens. See which kind of species are in the same watershed as you, and again, try to find habitats within that watershed that have similar conditions to that of your yard. If you're dry and sunny, visit a dry and sunny prairie remnant or restoration. If your yard has wetland-like conditions, visit a local wetland or wet-prairie. If your yard has different conditions in different areas, adjust accordingly. You may get to plant prairie in one area and use woodland species in another.

My yard mostly resembles dry to average prairie conditions, but appears to have historically been near or in wetland habitat before farming changed the landscape. Because of that, my garden is influenced mostly by prairie habitat, but it also contains some wetland and woodland influences in appropriate areas. The photos below are some of the local habitats that helped to influence my native garden.

DWNOOfSXcAAtHmh.jpg

IMG_1752 copy.jpg

DWNORgLXkAMpcES.jpg

IMG_1850 (2) copy.jpg

DWNV4IXXcAAxPVo.jpg

DWNSoh1WkAA6wz4.jpg

IMG_3965 copy1.jpg

IMG_4188 copy.jpg

IMG_9984 copy1.jpg

While my native garden is not an exact replica of these local habitats, it does contain many of the same species found in local areas, with a little artistic license implemented to use some North American species that are not native to my watershed but benefit native wildlife, as well as to make my garden a little more colorful. All in all, most species are exactly what I'd find locally, and I continue to adjust and improve it every year to make it more resemble local habitat. 2018 will be the year I add my first native grass specie to my garden. Little Bluestem may be the grass of choice, but that's another subject for another day.

IMG_3689 copy.jpg

IMG_3654 copy.jpg

IMG_3617 copy.jpg

IMG_4952 copy.jpg

IMG_4979 copy.jpg

IMG_9566 copy.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Stunning! What a lovely backdrop. You're so lucky. I only have a poky little garden. I will sow the wild flower seeds on my rockery.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Stunning! What a lovely backdrop. You're so lucky. I only have a poky little garden. I will sow the wild flower seeds on my rockery.

Not lucky by any means. I didn't have any of this in 2013. It took just a little bit of work, and a very little bit of money. Super easy and well worth it. I'm trying to find ways to expand it that will work with my yard. There's a spot that floods quite a bit and I think It'd be a good place to create an additional native garden. I'm also thinking about what can be done in my front yard, which only has a handful of native species right now. I'm thrilled with my 800+ square feet of habitat, but I always know I can do more. That's partly why I brought native species to my mom's and grandma's gardens as well. Even a couple aunts have Asclepias tuberosa that I gave them for Monarchs. (y)

Admittedly, I don't know much about the UK's native species, nor the insects or animals that benefit from them, but I'm sure you have some amazing species over there!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
JB: If it is flooded, it might be a good idea to leave it flooded as the birds might come back year after year to feed. In the UK, parts of the coastline are required by the EU to be left alone so that the flooded plains could be home to migrant birds. So it might be a good idea to leave a small havens as a natural habitat. I am sure you will research on that.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
JB: If it is flooded, it might be a good idea to leave it flooded as the birds might come back year after year to feed. In the UK, parts of the coastline are required by the EU to be left alone so that the flooded plains could be home to migrant birds. So it might be a good idea to leave a small havens as a natural habitat. I am sure you will research on that.

It's not a permanently flooded area nor a vernal pool. It does flood three or four times year - after the spring melt as well as after heavy rains - but that won't change. Instead of flooded lawn it'll be flooded habitat with wetland plants.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It's not a permanently flooded area nor a vernal pool. It does flood three or four times year - after the spring melt as well as after heavy rains - but that won't change. Instead of flooded lawn it'll be flooded habitat with wetland plants.

You lucky man! I wish to have a bit of spare land like that. Actually, I could. But it's not in my nature to pinch land.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
As long as it's not close to water lines, you could try a Pussy willow (Salix discolor) there! (y) They are native to WI, and were always one of the first things to bloom in our yard. I know you're on the look-out for early-bloomers! :)

I had one outside my bedroom window when I was a child, I just love them! :love:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
As long as it's not close to water lines, you could try a Pussy willow (Salix discolor) there! (y) They are native to WI, and were always one of the first things to bloom in our yard. I know you're on the look-out for early-bloomers! :)

I had one outside my bedroom window when I was a child, I just love them! :love:

I'm not looking to add any shrubs right now, though, when I do, it'll have to be Red osier dogwood or Flowering dogwood. Flowering dogwood is pretty amazing in full bloom.

Ask a Question