My Own Pumpkin Patch

Reaction score
I know it is too late but how would I go about growing my own small pumpkin patch? I have room in my back yard and the kids in my family would love it. -- peace

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I know it is too late but how would I go about growing my own small pumpkin patch? I have room in my back yard and the kids in my family would love it. -- peace
California isn't the pumpkin capitol of the world. Maybe Vermont or New Hampshire but Calif? You can probably grow miniatures or ornimentals but I don't think your climate is right for real pumpkins

Reaction score
First thing you should know is that it will take three month from planting to harvesting. Depending on where you are, you may be able to get in two crops. Squirrels and other rodents love pumpkins, so be ready to pull them out while they're still a little green or those little rascals will.

Reaction score
Thanks SamClemensMT! I think I will give it a try for next year. I am in Cali so it will be slightly warm.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is good to know about pumpkins. I know my kids would love this too. I would be worried about the rodents in the woods behind my yard. I know they would be ready to attack my yard when they realized pumpkins were growing there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I thought that pumpkins like coos damp places, they grow really well where I live for this reason. You just need to have enough space because some of them get really big.

Ask a Question