My News

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Our Christmas gift to each other was the purchase of a 2nd home. We go to settlement Jan. 14. It is down on the coast of North Carolina. So I get to furnish and entire house, kitchen stuff, 3 bedrooms etc. my list is endless. It has beautiful wood floors and gray stone fireplace which I will play off my color choices from in furniture selections etc. We have an awesome deck and nice dock to walk to the end of a beautiful inlet that leads to the ocean, and great views from the house, my priority. Still maintain our home up North as I will not give up my gardens. So that will be my next years project. When I toured the property with the owner, he pointed out all the hydrangeas he planted and other shrubs. He said, he tagged them so they would not get hurt with the next owner, he said his wife thinks he is nuts. I said to him "you don't have to worry---that shrub is called and that one is and so on I went. I said don't worry, you should see my gardens, your garden will be taken care of well by me. I gave him my You Tube channel to look at. Like to think he chose us for his property because of our mutual interest. Although the property is only half acre and mostly pine trees, so easy clean up.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What is your plan for managing two gardens? I suppose your northen garden will be mostly dormant in Winter, but from Spring to Fall they will both be going gangbusters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
What is your plan for managing two gardens? I suppose your northen garden will be mostly dormant in Winter, but from Spring to Fall they will both be going gangbusters.
the second garden is only 1/2 acre, not a lot of "special shrubs" I will use a local landscape service to cut grass and take pine needles out. easy. 1/2 of the back yard is tall grasses that buffer to the water, so again, really nothing major.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Then all is well. From your first post, I thought your new garden might have had more elaborate upkeep.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Then all is well. From your first post, I thought your new garden might have had more elaborate upkeep.
He ---the present owner thought his little planting of 3 Oakleaf Hydrangeas and 4 shrubs was a big deal. Certainly let him think that, LOL. The rest are ordinary pine trees, and down near the inlet natural tall grasses that take no care at all. I do not plan to add anything extra for many years. Just need lawn guys to cut grass and rake downed pine needles up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
The issues up North is not so much the dormant gardens, but I still have 3 cats to worry over. 2 of which would not stand relocation, I don't like leaving for more than 10 days. Have a good person to help. The other one could travel along and deal with a new house without issues. The first two are older, 21 and 18 years, but still a little feral, they would freak, one does not even want anything to do with inside a house, she has a heated cat house on the side of the deck that is also blocked from the wind, and heated water. It is what it is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Just came back from new house couple weeks ago. Did a walk about the property. So easy garden. The front part of the house is where some attention is needed but not a lot of time. Mostly pine needles in the beds from the pine needles that fall. So just raking up the lawn part area. From the back portion is all a dense gathering of natural shrubs. One of the trees is a protected tree. There is a long wooded path that leads to the dock then the inlet. And tall natural grasses are there at the edges. So for me its so easy. Learned that it is zone 8. My plan is to have some pots on the deck of seeds and just let mother nature take care of them while we are gone. The prior owners left a half cut off wine barrel full of soil, we tilted it to find that the bottom of it was starting to damage the deck as they did not elevate it, poor choice on them. The community has a yearly debris pick up at the street , so contacted the local landscaper to come and rake out the lawn area for me, to put it to the street. Seems silly their method to just put it on the street, a good wind will blow it down. Oh well. We will not be there on their chosen date or I'd do it. Found out you can't burn there. So far met some neighbors, they seem nice. Houses closer than I am used to, like I can't pick my noise on my deck, someone could see that. LOL.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
This looks like a very interesting project. I hope to see "before" and "after" photos in the future. Your new garden. And a wooded path with the dock and grasses. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
This looks like a very interesting project. I hope to see "before" and "after" photos in the future. Your new garden. And a wooded path with the dock and grasses. :)
Oh, there is not going to be a before and after. it will just remain. its all done. not new , just will take care of what is there. My garden up North is all I can handle. The southern garden is a piece of cake. just raking up a small lawn area from pine needles, maybe a tiny pruning, we shall see.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
The community has a yearly thing there, we all are given a certain date that you can take all your debris to the front on the street. This is a new concept for me, LOL. Anyway, got a hold of the suggested local landscaper who will do that task for me as we will not be there to do it. He says it will take his guys 45 mins to do it. Like that is all that work. LOL. Crazy easy. But, when I am finally down there for a bit, I will try to take some shots to show you what it looks like.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Spending a week at our 2nd home. Still working on furnishings and some debree clean up. View from the deck is lovely.
20220405_172135.jpg
20220405_172202.jpg

Ask a Question