Breaking News!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I was disappointed with the attitude of Fernandez when the match was halted near the end of the second set. She was berating the referee for two minutes in the ear-shot of Ranucanu who had a medical time out due to a "blood injury," when she scraped her shin on the court. Shots of Fernandez's team in the stand, showed them with faces like thunder, shouting at the referee.
Emma had no choice, it's the rule in all sports that you can't carry on in that situation. Fernandez should have known that and probably did. Emma didn't call the time out, the umpire did. Her leg was still bleeding after the trainer had put the first bandage on, so had to add another.

Contrast that with Fernandez's, "bathroom break" after 58 minutes when she'd lost the first set. Weak bladder? I don't think so. It has been common practice for some players to take these breaks when they are losing, as its used as a chance to recompose themselves.
Chris Evert made the point that in her competetive career of seventeen years, she didn't ever have, a "bathroom break."

When it happened, Emma sat on her chair, there was no "haranguing" of the referee by her.

Even at the presentation given the attention given her by the TV presenter and how long she was permitted to bang on and then calling them back to add more, you'd be forgiven for thinking, Fernandez had actually won.

Well done Emma. With her good looks, she couild be the "new Sharapova" whose off-court earnings eclipses the considerable amount of money she earned on court.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Emma’s US Open run was unbelievable. Straight sets win from qualifying is no fluke.

I can’t the hype that will surround her come Wimbledon next year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
The last big tournament of the year is at Indian Wells on 4th October.

The "start list" includes Johanna Konta, Heather Watson and Leylah Fernandez.

The invitations (76 of them) based on rankings, went out before the US Open so doesn't include Emma Radacunu as hers wasn't high enough.

So unless they give her a "wld card" (they will now, I bet) the US Open Champion would have to slog her way through the qualifiers!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Australia
No doubt she will given a wildcard. In fact, she might even be seeded at Indian Wells given her massive jump in the rankings.

Ask a Question