My Japenese Maple is dying!

Reaction score
I purchased a small Japanese maple from Aldi's. It had lots of fresh, growing leaves around the top and the trunk is about 2.5 feet tall and bare of leaves. I placed it in a larger container, about 8 gallon size, on the westward facing side of my house and now, about 3 weeks later, the leaves have curled and have turned brown! There are no new shoots forming. I put the tree in a soil mix of 2 different types of compost and peat moss, about equal portions of each. I water only when the soil feels dry. What could I be doing wrong?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I purchased a small Japanese maple from Aldi's. It had lots of fresh, growing leaves around the top and the trunk is about 2.5 feet tall and bare of leaves. I placed it in a larger container, about 8 gallon size, on the westward facing side of my house and now, about 3 weeks later, the leaves have curled and have turned brown! There are no new shoots forming. I put the tree in a soil mix of 2 different types of compost and peat moss, about equal portions of each. I water only when the soil feels dry. What could I be doing wrong?
Are the dead leaves staying on the tree or are they dropping off?

Reaction score

Although a picture of your Acer would assist greatly in helping to identify what kind of problem yours is suffering from - the first thought that comes to mind - is whether your Acer is in a very sunny or windy spot.

Which if it is - then that is what is most likely causing the problems - as apart from the fact that Acers can be very temperamental to the slightest of temperature fluctuations - Acers are particularly susceptible to both wind, sun and heat damage - due to the fact that their bark is incredibly heat sensitive and because of that - do best when grown in an a sheltered area with dappled shade - where they get no direct sunlight. As otherwise they display the exact symptoms as you describe when exposed to these conditions and especially so if grown in a windy site or an area that receives direct sunlight .

So think that you may well solve you problem - by moving your Acer to a more sheltered site with dappled shade :)

Reaction score
@Chuck - the leaves are still on the tree...is that a good sign?
@gata montes - Hmmm, you know it HAS been very windy lately with some VERY hot days in the 90's mingled with temperatures in the 60-70's. It faces the evening sun with no shading! I think I better move my little tree!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Chuck - the leaves are still on the tree...is that a good sign?
@gata montes - Hmmm, you know it HAS been very windy lately with some VERY hot days in the 90's mingled with temperatures in the 60-70's. It faces the evening sun with no shading! I think I better move my little tree!
No,it is not good news. Gata Montes is correct but I want you to remove the plant from its pot and make sure that the original root ball has been getting enough water. Sometimes on potted plants the plant has been in its pot for so long that the roots become densly intertwined and almost waterproof. If they have gently open the rootball by kinkd of pulling it apart. Also scratch through the outer layer of bark of the tree trunk just enough to see if it is still green. If it is green it is still alive. Do the same thing on a limb where there is a dead leaf and if that limb is brown and brittle it is dead

Reaction score
I removed the Japenese Maple from it's pot and yes, the roots were tangly. I combed through them with my fingers and unclumed/removed the dirt ball from around the roots. I replanted it in the ground on a side of the house that doesn't get intense sun. And, thankfully, when I scratched the trunk and a branch that had dead looking leaves, it was green! I sure hope my little tree will recover! Thank you Chuck and gata montes for your advise - I'll let you know how it progresses.

Reaction score
You are more than welcome Rhondi and shall look forward to news of how your tree is progressing - now that it has been moved to a more suitable spot and has had its roots checked too :)

Ask a Question