October Glory Maple

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
My October Glory is about 8 to 10 years old and about 20 feet tall. It looks great during the summer, but when autumn arrives and the leaves start to turn red, most of the leaves fall before reaching their full potential. I keep the tree watered during the summer. Any ideas on why my leaves fall too early, too quickly?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Try feeding it silica amendments across the season starting now. Silicic acid is taken up by the roots and toughens the cellular structure as well as enhances the heat and cold resistance. As you read about it, you will hopefully be amused and amazed. I use a liquid concentrate and spray it while I believe @TomatoTango uses a granular tilled into the soil.

Also, a lot of fungal diseases are inherent to trees. I cannot tell you which ones you have but odds are you have some parasitic relationships on the tree which may be helped if you identify the culprit such that you identify the treatment properly.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Supposed to be water soluable silica but I’d say it’s like 50% tops. I side dress plants that need it when I feed them and it waters right in. I may try a foliar at some point but idk. I know I add it in other forms too.

Ask a Question