My dragon fruit cutting arrived!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Not only did it come very healthy, I got 4 pieces instead of 2. The extra ones were marked "free". :)

I already planted them since the cuts were already cured. Here's an image of 2 of them. I didn't have room for the free ones, so I put them in the container with the dragon fruits grown from seed. I wanted to put one of the extra ones in my room, but last time I did that, my bird took a bite from it while I wasn't looking. :LOL:

Anyways, welcome the newest addition to the family.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Congratulations! They look very healthy and nice! We don't have that much sun in the winter, so I don't think this will work for me to grow,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Your dragon fruit looks very healthy although I think they still have to develop roots. But don't worry, dragon fruit is easy to grow and they are not delicate. As long as they have water regularly and sunlight, they will bear fruit within 18 months. Just an added info, there are 2 varieties of dragon fruit - the white one which is good for salad and the purple which is very sweet. Here is the pic when I harvested our dragon fruit last Sunday.....
IMG_3036 cory dragon ripe.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I think they look very healthy and nice. I think that you should get a bumper crop of them. I am not sure I have ever had dragon fruit unless it was in a drink though. It just isn't that common around here, but it can be grown in other areas, and is more of a tropical fruit I think, but as long as you baby it, and take care of it, it may grow for you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Thank you all very much!

@Corzhens, this is the purple variety (my favorite). I have white ones which are growing from seeds.

How did you go about pollination them? The flowers only open for one night so you need some bats/moths, or you need to do it yourself (which I don't mind doing).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yeah, make sure to get the cross pollination down. It is one of the main factors that cause your plant not to grow. I think those that want to have a bumper crop of anything need to make sure that their pollination quotient is right. I know one time I was all excited about growing blueberries and I couldn't because I only had one plant and I needed at least two.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I am officially jealous. I am at a geographical disadvantage for this one, and to be honest it irritates me to admit that I have only had dragon fruit once in my entire life. It is one of those things that I would buy every time I had the chance to, but I literally never get the chance, and I am motivated enough to make a separate trip to an exotic store. I hope it bears many fruits for you, and they look delicious as always in the pictures above.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Thank you all very much!

@Corzhens, this is the purple variety (my favorite). I have white ones which are growing from seeds.

How did you go about pollination them? The flowers only open for one night so you need some bats/moths, or you need to do it yourself (which I don't mind doing).

We are backyard farmers but I have to admit that we do not know anything about pollination. Our knowledge of plants is only the basic and pollination is a scientific thing already. I think there are plenty of pollinators here because we know there are bats night. But anyway, you are right that the blossom opens only one night and it has a pleasant scent. Here is the picture of the flowers where the ripening dragon fruits came from.
IMG_2869 dragon flower.jpg

Ask a Question