How do you grow a dragon fruit from cuttings?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I have seen many ways from letting the cutting dry out for a few days, to putting rooting hormone on it. And honestly, I don't want to do either. I'm afraid that the cutting will die without water and soil for a few days.

What's the best, with the most possibility way to plant a dragon fruit cutting?

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
They said they would give 2 cuttings, but possibly one very large one. Based from the reviews.

I'm going to let it dry for a week then. I wouldn't want it rotting. Anyways, I already have my container and trellis ready. Now the hard part--waiting for it to arrive. :ROFLMAO:

I'm so excited for it. I really love dragon fruits.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I know nothing about dragon fruit... but I'm wondering, if you get one very large cutting, could it be cut in half? (Maybe someone else can help answer that.)

Since you said "based from reviews," and "waiting for it to arrive," did you mail order it? In that case, maybe you'd want to look at the end of it to see how fresh the "wound" is...? If it is scabbed over and not seeping, you might be able to plant it immediately. (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Yes. I have read that you can get multiple cuttings from one large cut.

I did order it online. I'll check to see it it callused over before I do anything.

Ask a Question