My dischidia is dying :(

Reaction score
Country
Switzerland
Hello everyone,

I bought a dischidia a few months ago, but it has problems since 2 weeks. Last week, i noticed that some leaves were black and withered. I thought that it didn't had enough water, so I watered it as usual. However, i noticed this week that it has new black leaves.

Do you know what can i do ? Thank you!
3E62AC3B-FC69-437B-8D13-F03934B9DCB9.jpeg
2DF19267-0173-4BCE-B4B2-3D6DC70023A9.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I actually had a similar problem and I couldn’t find a solution online. My dischidia wasn’t the aerial as shown but I hope the solution to this darkening is still the same. When I did a little Googling around, most articles and blogs (not many forums, unfortunately) pointed out over watering as the main cause of this darkening. So I cut back on the watering, from 4-5 times a week to only twice.

I waited for like three weeks to see change, but nah, nothing happened. The blackening didn’t go away. I decided to find the next solution. I found an amazing article (forgot the link but I’ll link later) that was detailed enough to explain what to do if cutting down on watering doesn’t work.

Apparently, when your dischidia becomes black, especially on the lower leaves while the upper leaves stay green, it’s probably due to a fungus attack. And get this… such an attack is due to over watering! Yeah, that’s right.

Because the attack has already started and is fast spreading, just like mine did, the best solution is to have it re-potted. Which means carefully removing the dischidia from its current pot and replanting it on a new, dry soil. You’ll also need to cut down the black, dead leaves and stems.

I know, it’s a whole process. Very tedious actually. And like any other normal gardener, I’m always skeptical of online “advice” if it doesn’t come from a forum where other fellow gardeners can green light or give it a thumbs down. But hey, I was desperate and so I gave it a go. Long story short, the re-potting worked like a charm. The trick is to make sure to water your dischidia is on a modicum level so it doesn’t become vulnerable to fungus. Go ahead and try re-potting and see what happens.

Let me check and see if I can find the article on this. It actually had an amazing step-by-step breakdown on how to go about the re-potting. It also had other alternative solutions on how to protect the dischidia from fungus attacks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone,

I bought a dischidia a few months ago, but it has problems since 2 weeks. Last week, i noticed that some leaves were black and withered. I thought that it didn't had enough water, so I watered it as usual. However, i noticed this week that it has new black leaves.

Do you know what can i do ? Thank you!View attachment 93618View attachment 93619

I had a similar problem but my dischidia wasn't the aerial type like yours. The problem may be overwatering. So you first need to check that out. Minimize your watering to about 3 times a week. And constantly check the soil to see if it's dumpy or soggy. It should be dry enough but not too dry. Give it a few weeks to monitor the progress. If the browning is still on, repot the entire plant. That's what worked for me. Which worked like a charm. The trick is to make sure to water your dischidia is on a modicum level so it doesn’t become vulnerable to fungus. Go ahead and try repotting and see what happens.

Reaction score
Country
Switzerland
I actually had a similar problem and I couldn’t find a solution online. My dischidia wasn’t the aerial as shown but I hope the solution to this darkening is still the same. When I did a little Googling around, most articles and blogs (not many forums, unfortunately) pointed out over watering as the main cause of this darkening. So I cut back on the watering, from 4-5 times a week to only twice.

I waited for like three weeks to see change, but nah, nothing happened. The blackening didn’t go away. I decided to find the next solution. I found an amazing article (forgot the link but I’ll link later) that was detailed enough to explain what to do if cutting down on watering doesn’t work.

Apparently, when your dischidia becomes black, especially on the lower leaves while the upper leaves stay green, it’s probably due to a fungus attack. And get this… such an attack is due to over watering! Yeah, that’s right.

Because the attack has already started and is fast spreading, just like mine did, the best solution is to have it re-potted. Which means carefully removing the dischidia from its current pot and replanting it on a new, dry soil. You’ll also need to cut down the black, dead leaves and stems.

I know, it’s a whole process. Very tedious actually. And like any other normal gardener, I’m always skeptical of online “advice” if it doesn’t come from a forum where other fellow gardeners can green light or give it a thumbs down. But hey, I was desperate and so I gave it a go. Long story short, the re-potting worked like a charm. The trick is to make sure to water your dischidia is on a modicum level so it doesn’t become vulnerable to fungus. Go ahead and try re-potting and see what happens.

Let me check and see if I can find the article on this. It actually had an amazing step-by-step breakdown on how to go about the re-potting. It also had other alternative solutions on how to protect the dischidia from fungus attacks.
Hi Robert, thank you so much for your answers and all these informations ! Unfortunelaty, i couldn’t save my plant and it’s already dead :( however, i’m sure that your posts are going to help others with the same issue! i do think that i’ll try to get a new dischidia :)
Thank you and have a nice week end!

Ask a Question