My little Hinoki Cypress is dying. Can still be saved ?

Reaction score
Country
Italy
I have a dwarf Hinoki Cypress (Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Nana Gracilis'), planted one year ago, now about 35cm tall. It went very well until recently, from 1-2 weeks I've noticed that it is starting to get brown at interior and likely dying.
Its conditions didn't changed recently, still worm outside (15-20°C)

Can I do anything to save it ?
IMG_20221026_172638.jpg
IMG_20221026_172649.jpg

Tnx,
Q.T.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There has been an aphid, Cinara cupressivora, Cyprus aphid that has been causing die back with evergreens over here. From what I understand it is brown and lives under the surface foliage, not easily detected. Maybe worth a spray.
I have been praying it would find the eight foot high six foot wide leylandi hedge between me and next door and I could replace it with a fence :)
The only other thing I know of that does that is late Autumn pruning followed by a hard winter, but from what you say it isn't that.

Reaction score
Country
Italy
I've looking thoroughly deep inside the clutter but I couldn't find anything there looking as an insect. It's clean.
Now I am wondering that it might me the lack of water.
I just want to know that the plant is compromises or not. Will it recover ? Should I remove it ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That I can't answer, except to say that a really good maxim in gardening is "Give it a while and see." There is little to lose over winter at least, and things may become clearer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It also occurred to me, how is the weather in Lombardy? Could it be that the damage was done by an aphid that has now shut down for the winter? During the summer aphids reproduce giving birth to live young. Then the last generation of summer lays eggs that overwinter.

Watson et al. (1999) report that C. cupressi (Buckton) have seriously damaged commercial and ornamental plantings and native stands of Cupressus, Juniperus, Widdringtonia and other Cupressaceae in Africa, Italy, Jordan, Yemen, Mauritius and Colombia.

Note , that's old hat, it is in UK too now, but you are the first mention out of Africa.

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Oliver, the weather has been very dry in the last two months in my region.
I have other plants in my garden from the same family (Thuja, cypresses, junipers) and they are all ok.
Very unlikely to be that aphid, as I've looked very thoroughly today at the bottom of the clutter and there is nothing alike.
I don't think my little Hinoki will make the winter, every day it looks worse. :cry:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking about the temperature and wondering if they were already hibernating, but if it is getting worse it can hardly be that. Sorry, that has left me stumped now. Someone else may yet chip in with an idea, mostly I hope whatever it is does not spread.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have other plants in my garden from the same family (Thuja, cypresses, junipers) and they are all ok.
Very unlikely to be that aphid, as I've looked very thoroughly today at the bottom of the clutter and there is nothing alike.
I don't think my little Hinoki will make the winter, every day it looks worse. :cry:
Every day worse? Nothing seems fast with that type evergreen. Have you considered a root fungus? Besides insecticide, I could see using a fungicide. A systemic fungicide specifically. They won't recover fast however. That pic appears to have new growth in the light green areas? Or is that a deficient feeding in some way? Sorry I am not that familiar with the dwarf version.

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Every day worse? Nothing seems fast with that type evergreen. Have you considered a root fungus? Besides insecticide, I could see using a fungicide. A systemic fungicide specifically. They won't recover fast however. That pic appears to have new growth in the light green areas? Or is that a deficient feeding in some way? Sorry I am not that familiar with the dwarf version.
It might be root fungus. What "systemic fungicide" would you recommend ?

But what about deficient watering? It didn't rain much in the last 2 months.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Its purely a guess about fungus. One picture is not the basis for much. And the fungicide needs a target or it wont work. Agri-fos and clearys 3336 f work for me.

When you put your finger into the soil? I would ensure a 5 gallon bucket of water at least once a week on a new one the first year. Not sure what you did planting it. Dont drown it.

Reaction score
Country
Italy
How often do you usually water it? Here we water at least once a week in the summer.
I've been away between late August and mid October, when I discovered the issue.
So one month without water (like all other plants in my garden that are all fine)
When I noticed the issue I start to water it once every two days.

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Its purely a guess about fungus. One picture is not the basis for much. And the fungicide needs a target or it wont work. Agri-fos and clearys 3336 f work for me.

When you put your finger into the soil? I would ensure a 5 gallon bucket of water at least once a week on a new one the first year. Not sure what you did planting it. Dont drown it.
Thanks of advices.
I will try to find an equivalent solution in the local market for "Agri-fos and clearys 3336 f". Not an easy task though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thanks of advices.
I will try to find an equivalent solution in the local market for "Agri-fos and clearys 3336 f". Not an easy task though.

I would read the labels for what they do. Identifying a root problem is hard to do, and since you have no other "victims" to report, I would say it is likely not a problem but it is still that time of year.

Screenshot_20221031-214417.png
Compress_20221031_214827_7901.jpg

Last edited:

Ask a Question