I'd love some of those @alp :)

This is my largest Dahlia so far!
dahliavera.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@johnny canoe your Dahlias are beautiful and the foliage look so healthy, do you spray anything on them, or are you one of the lucky ones that never get molds or mites?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Hello Gemma and thanks. I usually get some powdery mildew showing up on the leaves this time of year. So far no sign of it but I did have to spray my birdhouse gourd leaves yesterday in my GH. I'm just using a baking soda spray and will use that when or if it appears on the Dahlia leaves. I'm trying to keep good airflow around the plants but they are starting to get very bushy. But another month and a half or less and the frosts will be here.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@johnny canoe You are doing a great job! I'm going to try the baking soda spray this weekend, we have at least another 2 1/2 to 3 months of blooming left!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Gemma and thanks. I usually get some powdery mildew showing up on the leaves this time of year. So far no sign of it but I did have to spray my birdhouse gourd leaves yesterday in my GH. I'm just using a baking soda spray and will use that when or if it appears on the Dahlia leaves. I'm trying to keep good airflow around the plants but they are starting to get very bushy. But another month and a half or less and the frosts will be here.

Have you got the formula for the baking soda spray please? Would love to use it as I do have some baking soda staring at me!:LOL:

Johnny, I have nothing but leaves! I did water with tomorite to puff up the potash content!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hello alp, it's one tsp of baking soda to 500ml of water.
Is the Dahlia that is all leave a young one or divided one? Sometimes that happens, it will bloom next year.

I will try that. Apparently, baking soda is good for a lot of things.

One is a mambo which flowered last year. The other ones I don't really know. I need to have a look to see if there are buds. Just a whole clump of leaves from several plants. Could be the drought or they could be late flowers. But Mambo is supposed to be early flowering. Everything which can go wrong goes wrong with me this year.

Thanks for the formula.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you, John!

I love them all, but the Crazy love seems to be dotted one here, one there! My beloved Frosted tip is nowhere to be found. Yours have put on such a good show. You know it's easy to take cuttings. You would be very good at that. Even I could do it. At the mo, most are like green vegs! Only I can't eat them! Unlike yours! So many full blooms and all clustered together.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've been spraying my Dahlias every weekend using first the baking soda mix and lately the milk and water, I can see that both slow down the mold but unfortunately it is still there. Perhaps they are both more of a preventive measure, rather than a cure?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Some could be repeats, but they are new flowers

SAM_1244.JPG
SAM_1245.JPG

Deer Antler cacti Dahlia - you can see the split end of the petals

SAM_1247.JPG

Polka - another short dahlia with very heavy-duty flower!

SAM_1248.JPG

This Kelvin Floodlight is only about a foot tall and yet the flowers are about 8 inches - The two of them were so heavy that they collapsed onto the floor!:eek: Remind me of an ill-breed dog!
SAM_1249.JPG
SAM_1250.JPG

Picasso
SAM_1252.JPG
SAM_1253.JPG

This could be Carribean Fantasy
SAM_1254.JPG
SAM_1255.JPG

Share yours please!

Attachments

• SAM_1246.JPG
    SAM_1246.JPG