My alocasia Polly and arrowhead plants are yellowing at the bottom

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just got the Polly and have been watering once a week and the arrowhead every other week. Is it signs of under watering? Over watering? I’ve googled and it’s just hard deciphering.
Please help!

Attachments

• 975F75B7-109C-45A4-9B24-4C8C798E2548.jpeg
    975F75B7-109C-45A4-9B24-4C8C798E2548.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 123
  • E9A13294-9B52-44E7-8E3C-681B2AFBEB1E.jpeg
    E9A13294-9B52-44E7-8E3C-681B2AFBEB1E.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 101
Reaction score
Country
United States
One way to know if a plant is getting enough water is to use the lift method. After the plant is dry on top about an inch, simply lift the nursery pot and feel the light weight before watering. Water until just a tiny amount of water just starts to come out of the bottom, then stop. Now lift the freshly watered container, can you feel the heavy weight? That's how I water my plants using the lift method. When you water, use a measuring cup and measure the amount of ml you used to water, then you know never use more than measured.

The second method I use is the finger method and stick my finger down the side of the nursery pot to my second knuckle feeling the dryness of the soil. If it's dry on top but wet below you will need to wait a couple of days before watering. That's the time to use the first method lift to double check your finger method.

The 3rd method I will use is calendar time. I use this method on Aloe, cactus, and other succulents and that's watering about once a month or about 20 days. I love arrowheads because they are so easy to take care of, and propagate. The big pot is from my Dad back in 1991 still growing and making babies. You picked some very nice plants, and I hope that helps you taturrria.

Attachments

• IMG_1762.JPG
    IMG_1762.JPG
    176 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_1763.JPG
    IMG_1763.JPG
    208.6 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1764.JPG
    IMG_1764.JPG
    257.2 KB · Views: 107
Reaction score
Country
United States
One way to know if a plant is getting enough water is to use the lift method. After the plant is dry on top about an inch, simply lift the nursery pot and feel the light weight before watering. Water until just a tiny amount of water just starts to come out of the bottom, then stop. Now lift the freshly watered container, can you feel the heavy weight? That's how I water my plants using the lift method. When you water, use a measuring cup and measure the amount of ml you used to water, then you know never use more than measured.

The second method I use is the finger method and stick my finger down the side of the nursery pot to my second knuckle feeling the dryness of the soil. If it's dry on top but wet below you will need to wait a couple of days before watering. That's the time to use the first method lift to double check your finger method.

The 3rd method I will use is calendar time. I use this method on Aloe, cactus, and other succulents and that's watering about once a month or about 20 days. I love arrowheads because they are so easy to take care of, and propagate. The big pot is from my Dad back in 1991 still growing and making babies. You picked some very nice plants, and I hope that helps you taturrria.

I think I may have been watering too much. We shall see! I put more days in between watering and also started misting the plants. So far so good. Also moved my arrowhead to the bathroom window where I have another one that is thriving, I’m sure due to the humidity. Thanks so much for your help! I’ll keep it all in mind.

Ps: your plants are beautiful!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Arrowheads don't need a lot of humidity, however it won't hurt them. Water management is key with any indoor plants and once you get the wet to dry cycles down correctly your plants will thrive. .

Ask a Question