Alocasia wentii struggles

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi everyone,

I’m really hoping someone can shed some light about my lovely Alocasia wentii. She was going so well for months and now just as Summer has hit she has started yellowing on her older leaves. Please see attached photos.
It first started with the two large older ones so I was advised to cut them off and see how she goes and she seemed ok but now another of her older leaves have yellowed in the same way, she has just been fed with slow release fertiliser and has been positioned in the same spot in farting filtered light near the window which she’s loved up until this sudden change. As you can see in the last photo attached she still has new growth that has just come out too. She hasn’t been reported and she was bought last year near April from memory.

The 2 first photos are of the oldest leaves dying and the last ones are the most recent

Please if anyone can help me with this because I don’t want to see her die!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @stellasteel! :)

I don't have any personal experience with one of these, but on first impressions the pot looks quite small and yellowing leaves is often a sign of over-watering.

farting filtered light

I'll admit I had a little giggle at this...!! :ROFLMAO:

G.W

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone,

I’m really hoping someone can shed some light about my lovely Alocasia wentii. She was going so well for months and now just as Summer has hit she has started yellowing on her older leaves. Please see attached photos.
It first started with the two large older ones so I was advised to cut them off and see how she goes and she seemed ok but now another of her older leaves have yellowed in the same way, she has just been fed with slow release fertiliser and has been positioned in the same spot in farting filtered light near the window which she’s loved up until this sudden change. As you can see in the last photo attached she still has new growth that has just come out too. She hasn’t been reported and she was bought last year near April from memory.

The 2 first photos are of the oldest leaves dying and the last ones are the most recent

Please if anyone can help me with this because I don’t want to see her die!!View attachment 49512View attachment 49517View attachment 49518View attachment 49519
I have to agree with letting your plant dry out thoroughly first. Alocasia is a tropical plant so they love sunlight depending on your variety. I have some of the huuuuge variety and I put it in full sun all summer in South Eastern North Carolina. I frequently cut off older leaves but yours do seem to have other issues. Careful not to over fertilize as it will cause discoloring. Because you have it inside it may not need as much water during the colder season. I have the Alocasia Calidora variety. Stay in touch I hope your plant continues to do well. 50154 As you can see mine were in need of some fertilizer too, yellowing edges....that was last summer.

Ask a Question