Multiple issues with Forget Me Nots. Help plz!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ever since it started getting hotter, my forget me nots went downhill. I'm brand new to gardening and this is my first plant other than my succulent. First, the tips became dry and brown. I watered them more frequently and it seemed to help. Now some leaves are slowly turning a few shades lighter, and what's worrying me the most are these tiny brown specs all over the bottom of the leaves. It's only the bottoms of the leaves that are turning lighter. I'm not sure if this is a deficiency or a disease. I thought it be better to ask other gardeners first instead of googling and buying things I don't need.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, welcome to the forum.
I am in England, so probably a bit different climate, but I think of forget-me-nots as Spring flowers, April May, then they start to die back, but they will have seeded everywhere and pop up all over the place so I spend the rest of the summer weeding them out where they are not wanted, most places, because by that time there are other things. So my feeling is that they are like me, feeling their age a bit, and you should wait for next Spring, but maybe someone local will have better advice.
The other thing I find is it is worth planting fresh seed every so often, as the flowers on the self seeded ones get progressively smaller each year.
Hoping to see you around the forum, Olly.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums @Forget_Me_Not . Oliver hit the nail on the head. In their first flush these flowers are lovely, and especially nice among tulips and daffodils. As the season goes on they look a mess as by now they should be totally dead and removed to the heap. The seeds that they will have left in the garden will emerge again next year, but the flowers will be smaller and smaller as the years go by.
I am determined to weed all of mine out next spring, or whenever I see them coming through the soil, because they are getting so weedy. These really do need to be treated like annuals, unless of course you are growing a ''wild garden''
If you want to grow blue flowers that will last for years, try to find the hardy low growing shrub known as Plumbago '' latin: Ceratostigma Willmottianum'' it flowers late summer, but is worth considering.
1695114351422.png

Ask a Question