Multi colored chilli plants!

Reaction score
I know, right? Those look so beautiful and can add color and life to any practically colorless spot in your house! I love those chilies plants because they can make any lifeless kitchen look so colorful and beautiful :) Amazing what something as small as a multi colored chili plant can do.

Reaction score
Thank you!:D To be honest, I've never tried to grow any indoor plants from seeds. As far as I know, my boyfriend hasn't tried it either. I hope it's not very difficult. Those colorful chili plants look so lovely in the pictures, I really want him to have a plant like this!:)

It can be very tricky, apparently I did a lot things wrong when I tried to grow things from seed in the past. You need to start well, by making sure the seeds you are buying are of a really good quality :) I think you really need to pay attention to the germinating part, a girl I know grows thing and uses the egg boxes to germinate her seeds in them, then transplants them with no hassle :)

Reaction score
Hmmm. That's too bad. Oh well, they will make a really great addition to any garden! Oh yes. We have those small chilis. We have so many of those in our place. you have to be careful when you pick them because they can leave juice in your fingers. We also have ones that are a bit bigger. It's the seeds that really add the kick.

We have chilies like these:

am_453648_5739098_788147.jpg

We dry them very well, and add the to the pizzas or to other foods, just to add some spice to whatever we are eating. I actually like to add those to the pizzas instead of the pepperoncini ones. Because those small ones are so spicy and nice! Yummy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It can be very tricky, apparently I did a lot things wrong when I tried to grow things from seed in the past. You need to start well, by making sure the seeds you are buying are of a really good quality :) I think you really need to pay attention to the germinating part, a girl I know grows thing and uses the egg boxes to germinate her seeds in them, then transplants them with no hassle :)
This sounds like a great method! I'll tell my boyfriend to use egg boxes too. Only one things worries me. Can salmonella contaminate new, little plants? Many eggs in my country are contaminated with this bacteria, so the boxes aren't clean either:(
As for the seeds, I can only purchase them online. I hope I won't receive a completely different plant, lol:p

Reaction score
My pleasure Trellum and yes I too love the purple ones too - however they don't stay purple for long - as most of the ornamental pepper and chili varieties start off one color and then as they mature change to varying shades of yellow orange and red - which is what gives them their rainbow effect :)

However I would just mention - that if hoping to grow these peppers for eating you could be severely disappointed - as the majority of these ornamental pepper and chili pepper plant varieties are grown for their ornamental value rather than for culinary purposes and although the peppers are classed as edible - there are very few people who actually eat them - as they are way hotter than even the hottest culinary pepper and normally extremely bitter.

Reaction score
If you are worried about using egg cartons claudine you could always try using yogurt cartons, plastic cups or even plastic bottles cut in two instead - which is what I use - as they all make excellent seed starting pots - so long as they have plenty of holes in the bottom for drainage :)

As I purchase the majority of my seeds online - I would say that its more the quality of the seeds that you need to worry about rather than the fact that you might get totally different seeds from the ones ordered.
Although most ornamental pepper and chili seeds will germinate reasonably easily if done at the right time of year - I think that you might be disappointed if you were to try and do them now - as they are normally sown around November to late February.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland

We dry them very well, and add the to the pizzas or to other foods, just to add some spice to whatever we are eating. I actually like to add those to the pizzas instead of the pepperoncini ones. Because those small ones are so spicy and nice! Yummy!
I've never seen a peeper like this. They look almost like green peas!:) Are they very spicy? Adding them to pizza sounds like a great idea. Just thinking of it made me hungry. Usually, I avoid spicy foods, but I'm sure that a pizza with a few peppers like these is yummy:)

Reaction score
Yeah, they are actually very spicy, Claudine! If you sun-dry them the get red and then you can just crush them so easily! I love spicy stuff, so I add those to the soups! Very tasty!!! I only use one of those chillies, btw, because if you add more then you might not be able to eat it, so if you ever see one of those chilies be careful :eek:

Reaction score
This sounds like a great method! I'll tell my boyfriend to use egg boxes too. Only one things worries me. Can salmonella contaminate new, little plants? Many eggs in my country are contaminated with this bacteria, so the boxes aren't clean either:(
As for the seeds, I can only purchase them online. I hope I won't receive a completely different plant, lol:p

Claudine, I understand your fear! Over here the salmonella infection is quite common actually. If you are afraid of that, then why don't you try with biodegradable pots made with newspaper or paper rolls? I think I saw somewhere on this forum how to make those! They are very easy to make :) And you can just bury the little pot in the dirt once you want to plant it a pot... no worries about removing the pot, since the dirt will do its work.

Reaction score
My pleasure Trellum and yes I too love the purple ones too - however they don't stay purple for long - as most of the ornamental pepper and chili varieties start off one color and then as they mature change to varying shades of yellow orange and red - which is what gives them their rainbow effect :)

However I would just mention - that if hoping to grow these peppers for eating you could be severely disappointed - as the majority of these ornamental pepper and chili pepper plant varieties are grown for their ornamental value rather than for culinary purposes and although the peppers are classed as edible - there are very few people who actually eat them - as they are way hotter than even the hottest culinary pepper and normally extremely bitter.

Yikes! Thanks for the warning! I like the way those chilies look, but would never eat them :) I'm very picky with my chilies, for some reason I don't like the red or yellow ones... or even the orange ones. I love the green ones tho :) The only red chilies I ever eat are the dried ones; the smaller the better. Have you seen those plants with very tiny chilies? I wonder if they have a name? The name of the tiny chilies I mean.

Reaction score

Those are the cutest things I have ever seen! Ours look more like these:
Super-Chili.jpg
images (6).jpg

Reaction score
Oh, I like the one in the second picture! Those are named ''serrano chillies'' here, the green ones at least. Those are very spicy! We use them for salsas, actually today I will make one using two of those chillies ;)

Ask a Question