Mother Nature Stop Playing with me!

Reaction score
Migrating birds came back yesterday! I have no idea what variety of bird they are because the entire flock was in the neighbors yard so I could not see them very well, but there was a great noisy flock of them!

Today they have gone: I assume they are still migrating North and simply took a day off here to rest and to feed.

It is a sign of spring for us, though I have never seen them come back so early! Usually the migrating birds do not come back before mid-February!

It also did not get dark until 6, so the days really are getting longer!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We sometimes get snow into March and even April. I don't even mind so much as long as there is lots of daylight to be had. This winter has been especially miserable and I am just ready for it to be over.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I have to tell you all, I am sitting in a place that is a bit depressing. You would think this winter would be great because we have had so much nice weather, with the exception of that seven feet of snow. Here is why I am blue, I have found a few times now this winter when the weather was very mild I have gone outside and felt like I should be doing garden stuff. Some times I can do lighter clean up's, Buts that's where it ends and the blues set in. I want it to be spring, I want to plant and water. I get sad thinking there will be at least at a minimal 60 more days of cold cold weather. This morning they said it will go down to the single digits by Tuesday, Today is spring like at 40 degrees with a light rain, by tonight we will drop to about 15 degrees. Mother Nature stop this roller coaster ride!
You need a greenhouse.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
I actually do need a greenhouse and have made plans to go to one this week. Our Botanical Gardens has this lovely winter project called illuminations, they light up the gardens and it is wonderful. I get to do two of my favorite things in this world, I get to visit a garden and snap tons of pictures. I did not know to bring a camera last time, here is a picture of what the event looks like so you can get an idea what I mean. I can hardly wait till Tuesday!
BuffaloBotanicalNightLights.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Those botanical gardens in that picture are beautiful. Don't worry, winter is almost over... though it is my favorite season. Gardening can commence in t minus 45 days......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
Well sort of, in this part of the world you can start your inside seedlings in the next 45 days.. maybe do some clean up on the property, but in reality real planting will not happen till closer to May.

This year I am going to try a cold frame and some early lettuce, maybe some snap peas, even that I can't start till late March- if it gets warm enough, probably April.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I actually do need a greenhouse and have made plans to go to one this week. Our Botanical Gardens has this lovely winter project called illuminations, they light up the gardens and it is wonderful. I get to do two of my favorite things in this world, I get to visit a garden and snap tons of pictures. I did not know to bring a camera last time, here is a picture of what the event looks like so you can get an idea what I mean. I can hardly wait till Tuesday!
BuffaloBotanicalNightLights.jpg

That looks like a great place for taking photos. I'm really jealous.

I never go anywhere without a camera, because it's impossible to predict when a great photo opportunity will come up. I hope you get lost of nice photos this time.

Reaction score
The cold and snow in Iowa are ridiculous. There is a possibility that I can do some winter sowing to stay busy. I have some indoor cactus to keep myself engaged with nature. But, I have to garden year around. I hate the cold and staying indoor so frequently.

Ask a Question