Mother Nature is such a tease!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The last few days here in Tennessee we've had such beautiful weather - it's been so sunny and pretty. The temperatures have risen some - in the 40s. It really makes me want to get out and start gardening. But I know that I still have at least 6 more weeks before I can get started. I hated the cold, rainy (snowy), overcast days but I'm not sure which is worse - the bad weather and not wanting to get out or the beautiful weather and knowing that I can't get out and work.

I guess I'll have to settle for a nice walk and at least getting some fresh air.

Reaction score
Yes, the sun has been shining and last weekend was remarkably mild! When I got up today I saw a packet of seeds that my brother gave me and I INSTANTLY felt the urge to go through my seeds and plan out the garden!

It is too early, though. The most accurate weatherman in the area has predicted an Arctic Blast in "about a month's time". That means it will NOT be an early spring, so if I start plants now they will be weak and leggy by the time I set them out. I find that plants are a LOT easier to harden off if they are still small!

Today's forecast calls for cooler but still mild: I will probably prune some more today. I have some weed trees coming up where they do not belong and where the mower cannot reach: nip, nip, nip!

Reaction score
My area does the same thing every January. We will have a brief spell of absolutely wonderful warm weather, then winter returns. This year it doesn't lol like it lasted long enough to get the bushes to bloom though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yesterday turned out nice after a long run of fog. The sun actually popped out for a while and I felt human again. It is quite unfortunate that I woke up to rain again today. This weather has really got to pass already and bring some nice sunshine my way.

Reaction score
Yeah, the weather here in the Carolinas has been pretty much the same as it has been in Tennessee. We've had a somewhat mild winter so far. Makes me want to get out in the yard and do some work on things. But as you said, it's just not the time for it yet, unfortunately. Spring will be here before you know it, though.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mother Nature hasn't been as rough this winter as I thought she'd be. The winter has been very mind here in Maryland. Some days are so nice. It makes me want to go out in the yard but I know it is too early.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
It has been a mild winter in my area, it has been cold and we have seen a little snow but nothing big yet. We are counting down the 6 weeks to Spring so that we can get out there and get busy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Only 6 more weeks until spring? That is fantastic news. I am so over this winter I could scream. It has been nothing but gloomy and I am starting to get really depressed. Last night I started making a list of all the things I want to do this spring and summer just to get my mind off all the blues I am feeling.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
You're completely right! This is exactly how I feel right now about Mother Nature. The sun is shining and its been pretty humid here for the past few days. At the weekend I even noticed in my old hanging baskets that the bulbs were starting to sprout early. This was a surprise to me as usually I don't even see them for at least another 4 to 5 weeks. Its pretty odd and curious but also unfortunate considering extreme icey conditions and sub zero temperatures are forecast from Wednesday onwards (in Ireland). I'm planning a complete restart of my garden this year anyway but it will be interesting to see how Mother Nature plays out this time!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Haha you guys are extremely lucky! I live on the Eastern coast of Canada and we consider it very lucky if we break past freezing point during this time. In fact, we're due for a big snowstorm along with the north-eastern region of the US. Can't wait!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I can totally do without all of the freezing temperatures and snowfall and glad we are not having to deal with the weather that is happening in other parts of the country, and Canada. The sun is actually starting to come out this morning and it will be absolutely wonderful if it sticks around, at least just for today.

Ask a Question