Most unusual house plants

Reaction score
I have a couple of Hoya's at home, you can root them in water and start others. I had one about 5 years ago that bloomed, just like the bloom in the video. When I first saw the bloom I didn't know what to think of it, thought it was some type of fungus, or some other unusual growth. When I saw the formation of the bloom - stars - and the fragrant smell, I realized it was a part of the plant. Below is an image of one of my Hoya's, this one was rooted in water and transferred to soil about 6 months ago..

Hoya.jpg

*** Jed *** if you mist your plants that will alleviate the dust problem, plants love the mist, and it keeps insects away ..Here's my favorite video about misting ..

Jed

Reaction score
Thanks taskeinc. I can see now we should have misted much more.
Our plant must have been 20 foot long with creepers everywhere. It started to look bedraggled and my wife felt like a change in the kitchen.
It was cut right back and now lives out in the hot house. I'll be sure to give it a mist of seaweed spray from time to time. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Taskeinc, your Hoya is so pretty, it looks very healthy and it's so big. I love when plants grow fast. I wonder if it's possible to buy Hoya here in my country. The Hoya flowers are rather pretty:

IMG_2941.jpg

Are they sticky? They look like they were:p

Jed

Reaction score
Taskeinc, your Hoya is so pretty, it looks very healthy and it's so big. I love when plants grow fast. I wonder if it's possible to buy Hoya here in my country. The Hoya flowers are rather pretty:
I can't see why not. It grows very well indoors and I'm sure your homes are adequately warm enough for the plant to grow well. That video shows how to keep up the humidity and to help it cope. Ours was never very well attended to and survived to grow to 20 feet.
The flowers, I can't recall if they were sticky to touch. They didn't leave any residue when they eventually fell off onto the floor.
I tried googling some nurseries in Poland but didn't get far.

Reaction score

The flowers produced by the Hoya Plant are not sticky at all, they are very unique in their appearance, as you can see from the close-up you posted.. but the tiny flowers grow in a cluster and when in full bloom it looks as if it is another plant/flower separate from the plant itself because it looks so different. That's why when I fist saw mine bloom, several years ago, I didn't know what it was at first, and that was during a time when Google was not that popular.

That's one of the reasons I'm so fascinated with plants because if you keep some plants long enough, and give it the proper care, it will sometimes bloom out of nowhere, and it will be a bloom you never saw before.

OK, this will blow you away .. I've read where, sometimes if you get an unusual bloom or an unusual growth from a plant it could be someone from the spirit world trying to contact you, trying to get your attention, or just saying hello ... whether that's true or not, I have no idea, but I did read about this phenomenon in one of the many metaphysical books that I've read.

This is interesting ... 7 wonders of the plant world.

Jed

Reaction score
Melbourne Botanic Gardens had one of those corpse plants flower the other day. The plant does it once every 7 years and the flower last a couple of days.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Cool, ideal present for someone you don't like
3092.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
OK, this will blow you away .. I've read where, sometimes if you get an unusual bloom or an unusual growth from a plant it could be someone from the spirit world trying to contact you, trying to get your attention, or just saying hello ... whether that's true or not, I have no idea, but I did read about this phenomenon in one of the many metaphysical books that I've read.

I don't believe in the spirit world, but it sounds so romantic. If I was a ghost, I'd like to contact people whom I love through flowers.

Jed , this corpse flower is so scary:eek:

corpse-flower-picture-111.jpg

Reaction score
How about this for interesting, and it's a novel idea .. A "birdcage hanging plant", actually an Orchid would fit nicely, don't cha think?

IMG-20110528-00396sm.jpg

Put some peat moss at the bottom, add a couple of orchids, you're good to go.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We were looking at those in the garden centre the other day, my Daughter was wondering why they were selling them there:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
How about this for interesting, and it's a novel idea .. A "birdcage hanging plant", actually an Orchid would fit nicely, don't cha think?

IMG-20110528-00396sm.jpg

Put some peat moss at the bottom, add a couple of orchids, you're good to go.

It looks wonderful:D . I love how bird cages look but I can't stand the thought of poor birds locked in them:mad: . I could have a bird cage in my room if it was a planter. It's a lovely idea:)

Reaction score
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I like that and there one of those smelly plants in NC

Ask a Question