Moss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise a method/order of ridding my lawn of this moss please. It started off as one patch and has multiplie across my lawn. Thanks for any advice.

20230425_113750.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
You want to get rid of moss, I want to grow it lol. Hopefully you get a better answer but I would say pull it off like a carpet. Moss is slow growing (my understanding I'm not an expert) so if you use a garden rake it shouldn't take much to get rid of it.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The roots are not deep so I think if you take it off the top and plant grass that should do it. But that is only my guess. Hope someone who has experience with it gives you a better answer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and welcome.

It looks as if it has been neglected for quite some time.

Get some iron sulphate and treat it. The moss will die and turn black after a few days, then scarify it on a dry day, so you don't pull out a lot of the grass.
It might need several treatments.
Once you cleared it, you'll be able to assess whether it needs more seed. If so spread a mixture of seed and top soil. Once the lawn has recovered, mow, frequently, it will encourage the grass to grow. Give it a feed now and again.

Keeping a lawn in good condition, takes a lot of work.

P1040463.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
You need more sun. Do you have a canopy? Your pictures are misleading with such good lighting.

I agree about needing sun.
Even my lawn suffers from moss in the winter months along the edge of the long border, in front of the end border and under the acer in front of the summerhouse. It takes until will into the summer before it clears and then returns in late autumn.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not too bothered by moss nowadays. I find it gets VERY bad over winter (wet, West of Scotland climate) but in the summer it all but disappears.

I used to keep it out of my front lawn by putting down Iron Sulphate to kill the moss then using a scarifier to remove the dead moss. You could just use the sacifier but the risk is that you'll send live moss spores all over your garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I'm not too bothered by moss nowadays. I find it gets VERY bad over winter (wet, West of Scotland climate) but in the summer it all but disappears.

I used to keep it out of my front lawn by putting down Iron Sulphate to kill the moss then using a scarifier to remove the dead moss. You could just use the sacifier but the risk is that you'll send live moss spores all over your garden.
also- you risk wotking very hard against mother nature which is quite a load the older I get.

Ask a Question