Lots of Moss in an inherited Lawn

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 10a
Country
Spain
Short of returfing the whole garden is there a remedie for killing moss? it’s in patches all over the lawn, have scarified once and removed a lot of the moss painstakingly (Wife removed the moss).
added a little topsoil and new grass seed but doesn’t really remove the underlying problem, moss.
Any ideas are welcome thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Sign of compaction, so spike the lawn. Sign of hunger so feed the lawn. Sign of soil acidity so lime the soil.
Lawns take up more time and effort than the rest of a garden. For something that was originally only a rich person's way of boasting (Look at how rich I am , I can afford to have a big patch of land which I do not need to produce food), the growing of a nice patch of grass has become something of an obsession for many people.
Have fun with it! We are in the same boat, more moss than grass.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have every transitional zone in my yard, and shade is a big factor here, but not always. Literally, we encourage moss in some areas and paths but not others. It is not a strongly rooted groundcover so poor for traffic, but pleasant around walkway stone, and under pots etc moss garden style. I went so far as to buy a blender for propagation.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Like this
PXL_20210823_181214829_resize_61.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree, enjoy your moss. Other pleasant lawn invaders visitors to encourage might include Lawn Daisies (Bellis perennis), Creeping Speedwells (Veronica spp.), Clovers (Trifolium spp.), and Creeping Buttercup (Ranunculus repens). All can take regular mowing and will turn a monocultural lawn into a floral tapestry.

Ask a Question