Moss/Lichen/Algae

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

Anyone know what this is? I have a rock garden and it’s growing and spreading in it. Generally in areas of lower sunlight makes me this it’s some kind of moss or lichen. I’ve been researching and going to local garden stores for weeks and no one knows what kind of moss lichen or other this is. After identification, also looking for ways I can get rid of it as easily as possible. I prefer not to have to dig up all the rocks and pick this off individually. Thanks so much in advanced for any help!!!
17582609-3C7E-4C0A-B678-DFDC2B898DDB.jpeg

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think it's a liverwort or liverworts see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marchantiophyta#Gallery
Pretty isn't it. Why do you want to get rid of it? Is it overwhelming your alpines or just offending you eyes?
Given that it probably grows in your vicinity I'd live and let live
To get rid reduce shade, improve drainage and air circulation.
Bleach will kill it as will a copper based fungicide.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you so much! So I guess after your help identifying it and reading about it it’s technically a weed that is difficult to get rid of once established.

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's part of the natural environment just doing its own thing as I said I'd live and let live. Plant your rockery up as if it's not there and it will stay or go.

Ask a Question