Moss on top of haworthia succulent

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. I bought a haworthia zebra succulent at my local grocery store. It has moss on top and when I try to water it, the water doesn't sink in, it just runs off the top. I'm afraid my new little guy isn't getting any water. Should I repot it or take the moss off? Thanks for any suggestions!

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would repot it; remove the moss, tese the roots out of the current growing medium and then repot into a mix of abut 50% potting compost 50% grit; so you get a free draining mix.
succulents don't require much water. In summer mine get watered every couple of weeks in winter maybe every couple of months.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would repot it; remove the moss, tese the roots out of the current growing medium and then repot into a mix of abut 50% potting compost 50% grit; so you get a free draining mix.
succulents don't require much water. In summer mine get watered every couple of weeks in winter maybe every couple of months.
Thanks so much! I'll give that a try. I appreciate your response!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would go along with what NigelJ said (Well, maybe not quite so much grit and a little bit of leaf mould, but that's personal choice), but if you have trouble watering from the top you can always stand it in a saucer and water from the bottom, just don't leave it standing in water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would go along with what NigelJ said (Well, maybe not quite so much grit and a little bit of leaf mould, but that's personal choice), but if you have trouble watering from the top you can always stand it in a saucer and water from the bottom, just don't leave it standing in water.
Thanks Oliver! I appreciate all the help I can get!

Ask a Question