Mosquito control

Reaction score
I saw this and I thought it made a really interesting pot! I might try it last year, even though I have heard using plants to control mosquitoes is not efficient, but this looks s pretty! So I will give it a try :D

664e9622c2de1b4d24f2676be5499e21.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Generally the plants themselves won't do much if anything at all. It's usually the released oils combined that do the trick since the smell of the oils are potent.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Any natural way to control mosquito is a best way to at least try! We are in the city so the mosquitoes aren't that bad and this pot of plants looks pretty enough to keep around our outside sitting area.

Reaction score
Looks lovely and worth a try. Please let us know how,effective it is Trellum?

I surely will next year, if there is another awfully hot winter in the Netherlands... you can be sure the mosquitos next spring and summer will be huuuuuuuuge.

Any natural way to control mosquito is a best way to at least try! We are in the city so the mosquitoes aren't that bad and this pot of plants looks pretty enough to keep around our outside sitting area.

It would make a great ornament too ;) You know, just in case it doesn't work so well :p

Generally the plants themselves won't do much if anything at all. It's usually the released oils combined that do the trick since the smell of the oils are potent.

I've heard about that, but what do you mean with plans won't do much? I don't know about you, but I don't expect my plants to do much :D other than thriving and blooming, of course. I try to keep expectations low ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The plants left alone by themselves won't deter mosquitoes much until you crush a few leaves which releases oils. It's like comparing a bad odor from far off vs a bad odor up close. The plants that don't have their leaves crushed to release oils won't keep certain mosquitoes at bay because the smell's not bad enough for them. However if you take a leaf and crush it, the smell becomes more potent. Generally the oils work for about 20 minutes according to the University of Florida if I recall.

That being said- I think the catnip should prolly be by itself just in case it attracts neighborhood cats. Once they're under the influence of catnip, they may try to eat your other plants if you bunch them up like that haha.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hahahahaha @Cereus. I love your advice, especially the part about
I think the catnip should prolly be by itself just in case it attracts neighborhood cats. Once they're under the influence of catnip, they may try to eat your other plants if you bunch them up like that haha.
I had a good laugh too as I imagined trying to get rid of mosquitoes and ending up with cats.

I took one look at the pot of plants and my mind went blank because I couldn't see how they would get rid of these pests. If the oil from the crushed leaves worked for 20 minutes or so then that's not so bad., providing it works for real. Until then it would be wise to make sure they don't have breeding areas like containers with water hidden in a corner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Citronella is being touted here as a mosquito repellent. Ambulant vendors showcase a row of citronell in their carts. The plants are planted in black plastic bags, ready for transplanting. Some years ago, we bought citronella and replanted it in a plastic pot so we can bring it inside the house. We didn't feel that it repels mosquitoes. It's just probably a hype because nothing different happened when the citronella was there inside our house.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, if it doesn't repel the mosquitoes, at least it will look awesome trying! I know I have heard about marigold's repelling bugs. We used to plant them all around our garden to keep certain pests out. And citronella is a good replant as well. This plant display looks amazing tho. This would be a lot easier than applying OFF bug spray the whole time you are out on your patio in the evening. I will be looking into trying to plant some of these to try out this spring.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I have never tried that. When I was young I can remember how we used to mix cow dung with eucalyptus leaves and burn them after leaving them to dry. That used to work but it was not efficient. Nowadays I consider buying a repellant to keep mosquitoes away. Can you grow those plants in your house to repel mosquitoes?

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I guess that the active ingredients that repel mosquitoes in these plants are chemicals called alkaloids. There is a plant known by its botanical name as Mimosa pudica which is insectivorous. You can place it in strategic locations in your rooms. When insects land on it, they are promptly captured by the folding action of the leaves. Mimosa also captures other insects.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Mosquitos love me for some reason and will attack at any chance they get. We went camping a few a years ago and all I Remember is how bad we all stunk from dousing ourselves in bug spray. I am all for any natural means of keeping them away.

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
I am still looking for plants that are mosquito repellent. I have found a plant, however, it is weed so I do not want to plant on my garden. Another plant is a big tree, so there is no chance that I will use this in my garden.However, I will be trying some of the plants mentioned on the opening thread.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well best of luck to you and hopefully you can find an ideal one that we can all settle on as the definite plant to use. It's still a great idea to keep on using the sprayed on repellents so as not to take any risks of getting mosquito bites. The onset of Zika virus now makes this case even more urgent.

Ask a Question