Mosquitoes !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
It is that time of year again, and the nasty pests try to eat me alive, especially in the evening, which is when I go out to do my last plant watering for the day.
I have been using the Avon SkinSoSoft; and that actually does a pretty good job of keeping th mosquitoes away. However, today, I was reading about the things that sassafras is useful for (we have sassafras trees) and it said that actually the oil, safrole, was used as an insect repellant. A little more reading, to get an idea of it could be used as a home-made repellant; and I was soon outside pickling some sassafras leaves. The last article also said that mint was a good repellant, so I gathered a few mint leaves, just as an additional possibility.
It is supposed to repel fleas, ticks, mosquitoes, and most other bugs, and can be made with either alcohol or water; so with water, it could also be sprayed on plants, to keep bugs off.
I took the handful in the kitchen, chopped the leaves as small as I could, and put them in a jar and filled the jar with isopropyl alcohol.
After about a half hour, the mixture was already starting to turn greenish, so I strained some out, put it in a spray bottle, and it is ready to test out when I go out to water this evening.

Reaction score
Let us know how this homemade mosquito solution turned out. We also made a homemade mosquito repellant using a mixture of 30 ml. of virgin coconut oil, 12 drops of citronella essential oil, and 12 drops of eucalyptus essential oil. We made this mixture for our kids who attended a summer camp and they said it was effective. We also used it at home and it did repel mosquitoes for at least 3 hours.

Reaction score
If you find that it doesn't work happyflowerlady and are looking for a very effective natural way to repel mosquitoes - then - you can't do any better than Catnip - as apart from filling the air with its fresh but subtle scent - there is strong scientific evidence to show that it is actually one of the best natural insect repellents around - as it has been found to be far more effective than any of the commercially made products and much safer too .

Its quite versatile too - as it can be used in so many different ways - like for instance

Use Catnip plants decoratively - as in dotting them around the house or outdoor sitting areas - either in pots or hanging baskets or using the crushed leaves as fresh potpourri - as both will effectively keep the mosquitoes at bay.

Catnip also works really well as a body wipe repellant too - which is easily done by crushing the leaves and then applying them to your skin - the only down side is that - if you own a cat - you may find that your cat finds you irresistibly attractive.

You can also make a concentrated spray - which can safely be sprayed onto skin and clothes or into the atmosphere - which is very easily done by

Placing 2 large handfuls of crushed Catnip leaves in a bowl and either covering them with 1 pint of boiling water or 1 pint of cold vinegar ( which if you want a really strong solution you would choose the vinegar )
Leave to soak overnight - then strain and pour into a spray bottle

by which time you are armed and ready to deal with all biting insects :)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I always use Off Deep Woods. Never get bit on the areas I spray, though they'll search for any spot I didn't spray.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Like the Catnip idea (Nepeta cataria)

Got bitten by a Horse Fly a few weeks back, my wrist, and then my hand swelled right up, took days to go down.

Reaction score
Let us know how it turns out, please. Also be careful, that nasty virus that came from the tropics is already here, so a lot mosquitoes are already carrying it for sure in a lo places. Be careful and don't let the mosquitoes bite you (y)

Reaction score
Like the Catnip idea (Nepeta cataria)

Got bitten by a Horse Fly a few weeks back, my wrist, and then my hand swelled right up, took days to go down.

Yikes, zigs!!!! I think I have seen those flies around here, but fortunately I don't spend that much time outside, so they haven't had the change to bite me! Good to know they can do that tho, I'll kill any of them on sight. Just yesterday I saw one of them!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Didn't even feel it Trellum :eek:

Just got the swelling.

Are you saying Ebola has got out of Africa?

Reaction score
Happy Flower Lady,, my Mom used to plant lemon grass and different mints around the yard and house to help repel mosquitos. It seemed to help because my sisters rarely got bitten in the back yard. I am one of those lucky people that most biting insects leave alone, and on the rare occasion I do get bitten, I do not itch from it or get a welp from it. I used to hold bumble bees in my hand when I was small and take them so my mother could see. She always paniced because she was afraid I would get bitten.

Reaction score
They are nasty and pesky little buggers. Do you have any standing water around because that is the happy breeding ground. That includes watering stations and standing water in even the smallest of spaces. Really check around your property to find out. All of the other suggestions should be of help for you.

Reaction score
Many thanks Zigs - I just realized that I forgot to mention one important aspect regarding using Catnip as a mosquito repellent.

Which as there are literally hundreds of different varieties of Catnip to choose from - whether you are planning to grow it from seed or buy young plants from a garden or pet store - it is important to make sure that it is actually Nepeta Cataria and not any of the other Nepeta varieties that you are buying - the reason being that the only variety of Catnip that has insect repelling properties is the one that cats love - Common Catnip or Nepeta Cataria

Oh and a word of warning - as Catnip belongs to the mint family - it can be invasive and is often best grown in a container otherwise it can take over the garden pretty quickly :D

Ask a Question