Moro Blood Orange Tree Losing Leaves

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

My Moro Blood Orange tree is about 3 years old and fruited last year. However, this year some of the branches have turned brown and dropped all of their leaves as shown below. I spray with neem oil every 7-10 days. Anyone have an idea as to what is causing this?

Thanks!
4CF3E67E-E552-48B2-9D7E-48796FD4A902.jpeg
31772003-7FD4-46B3-8A2E-D9B9A01AEEA1.jpeg
BE144722-BAE9-4EDA-AA5E-4B4956824FB8.jpeg
65BD9BFA-D7A8-4B51-B12B-81E1533952B1.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Chuck,

Yes, I am in Houston, but I moved the containers into my garage before the freeze and kept them there until it was back above freezing temps. Now that’s not to say it didn’t get cold in the garage too, as we did lose electricity for 3 days or so. I also have two peach trees and another orange tree, that are not showing any signs of a similar issue.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi Chuck,

Yes, I am in Houston, but I moved the containers into my garage before the freeze and kept them there until it was back above freezing temps. Now that’s not to say it didn’t get cold in the garage too, as we did lose electricity for 3 days or so. I also have two peach trees and another orange tree, that are not showing any signs of a similar issue.
The peach trees won't show anything as they are completely cold hardy. Your other orange may be of a different variety or possibly it was somehow cared for a little differently. Whatever the case your blood orange has had freeze damage. Scratch the bark on those dead looking limbs. Scratch in different places on the limbs and in any places you see signs of green BELOW that area the limb is still alive. If brown anything ABOVE that area is dead and should be removed.

Ask a Question