Miniature roses

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Hello! I love roses, they're my favourite flowers, I've grown miniature roses in flowerpots on the windowsill in my room since last year. I have now 5 of them and I plan to have more since I find them so beautiful. I have one with red flowers which has no spikes, one with pink, sweet fragrant flowers, one with amaranth flowers, one with scarlet flowers and one with white flowers which is yet very small. I love them all and I really enjoy looking after them. It's like I had a little garden in my room. How about you? Do you grow miniature roses?

Reaction score
I have tried the miniature roses, seems I can only keep them looking good about a year. How long have you had yours and what do you feed them? I love roses as well, but have not tried the miniature in a long time because I hate it when they die...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I have tried the miniature roses, seems I can only keep them looking good about a year. How long have you had yours and what do you feed them? I love roses as well, but have not tried the miniature in a long time because I hate it when they die...
I've grown my roses for more than a year now and they look great. Miniature roses need to - I'm not sure if it's a proper term - hibernate during the winter. When they'll lose their leaves, you need to move them to the room where it's cold. I keep my roses in the attic from November to March because the temperature there is the best. I feed them with regular fertilizer for houseplants, it's nothing special.

Reaction score
OK!!! didn't even think of them needing to go dormant! Well, I may just have to give them another try! Is it ok if they freeze like regular roses?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
They shouldn't freeze because when the ground in the flowerpot is frozen, the roots can't breathe - this is what I've heard. My roses froze once and nothing happened thought, but I was really scared. Usually, in my attic the temperature is between 2 - 6 degrees Celsius. It shouldn't be more than 10 degrees. If you let your roses go dormant during the winter, I'm sure they'll live and bloom beautifully in the spring:D .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This is so cool, I can't wait to get started now with mini roses again. Thank you!
I'm sure it'll be a success this time:D . Growing miniature roses is so wonderful:D . What colors would you like to have? I love all my roses but I think that the white one is the most beautiful.

Reaction score
I have always avoided roses as I do not have the space. Miniature roses sound like fun I have never really tried them. Is there anything I should know to grow these? Are some specific varieties better than other if I want to buy them? I would love to have some sweet smelling roses. Would be happy to have some information.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm not an expert because I have had my roses only since last year but I can say that I find them very easy to grow, they don't need anything special. I just water them every day and prune from time to time. Unfortunately it's very hard to find a miniature rose with fragrant flowers, I have only one and the scent is very delicate.

Reaction score
That is fine, we all start somewhere before we become experts. You make growing these roses sound easy. I am going to give it a try. Hey, I just remembered that my friend has some lovely miniature roses. I could try with a few cuttings I guess. i have noticed that she does not have any fragrant ones too. Hope I find some.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've grown two miniature roses from cuttings. It was easy, I just put them in a separate flowerpot. This will be their first winter. I hope they'll be okay. The best time to plant cuttings is spring. If you'll do it later, they won't have any chance to grow big enough to survive winter.

Reaction score
Great! I will get the cuttings and start them now. In spring if I am lucky I may have a few roses. Thanks for letting me know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
To be honest, I'm not sure if you can start growing them now - if you have cold winter in your country - but I guess it's worth a try. Growing roses is a wonderful experience:D

Reaction score
To be honest, I'm not sure if you can start growing them now - if you have cold winter in your country - but I guess it's worth a try. Growing roses is a wonderful experience:D
Not to worry Claudine, there isn't much of a Winter here.. my little garden is in bloom all year through. I doubt if there roses will have a problem... By spring they will be ready to flower if I get to work quickly.

Ask a Question