Mildew on fruit tree

ROM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have plum and apple trees that have a green type of mildew on the branches. Any one know what I can do to get rid of it? Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi I have plum and apple trees that have a green type of mildew on the branches. Any one know what I can do to get rid of it? Thanks
Without closeup pictures it is impossible to be 100% sure what you have going on but in all probability what you have is not mildew. More than likely it is a lichen and is harmless to the tree. Lichens are composed of algae and fungi and many times they grow together but are in themselves harmless. They do, however, many times act as a warning that the tree is under some type of stress. You can get rid of lichens with copper sulfate

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Without closeup pictures it is impossible to be 100% sure what you have going on but in all probability what you have is not mildew. More than likely it is a lichen and is harmless to the tree. Lichens are composed of algae and fungi and many times they grow together but are in themselves harmless. They do, however, many times act as a warning that the tree is under some type of stress. You can get rid of lichens with copper sulfate
I have had the same and also on blackcurrant bushes. This spring I have only a very few blossoms on the plum tree and the blackcurrants are dead. Very worried there is a virulent problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have had the same and also on blackcurrant bushes. This spring I have only a very few blossoms on the plum tree and the blackcurrants are dead. Very worried there is a virulent problem.
Pictures

Ask a Question