Meyer lemon tree help

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 3-4 year old potted meyer lemon tree in the northeast US. It made it through winter indoors, but lost about 75% of its leaves. The weather is still too crummy to put it outside permanently, but it goes outside during nice days and comes in during the nights which still go down to the low 40s.

Back in March/April, the tree started budding like crazy. Probably 3-4 times the number of buds than leaves. Over the course of a week or so I plucked each bud because (1) I want to encourage more vegetative leaf growth and (2) there was no way the tree was going to be able to support all those flowers/fruits.

2-3 weeks after pulling all of those buds and hoping to see more leaf growth, the tree has started budding again. I feel that this is stress related, but I don't know what to do. Help?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Why did the tree loose its leaves? What did they look like before they dropped? How much sunlight does it receive? How big is the tree and how big is the pot.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just tried to post 2 pics. I think the leaf loss was just due to too many months indoors in a dry environment with only NE winter sun. From soil to the highest leaf, it'sounds 43 inches. I think the pot is 5 gal, but maybe smaller. Soil is very well draining, slightly sandy soil. Also, I fed recently with dry food for citrus.
1462645039601-1939176819.jpg
1462645087215415869584.jpg

1462645039601-1939176819.jpg 1462645087215415869584.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If the leaves dropped rapidly what happened was a dramatic temperature or climatic change. If they dropped over a period of time it is as what you say, lack of sunlight and/or dry soil which is probably the case because the plant is leggy, it is reaching for the sun. When it is safe to take outdoors put it in full all day sun and keep MOIST not wet. I would not fertilize at all until new leaves are 1/2 half full size and then only lightly. The NE is not the best place to have citrus so it will take a little time for it to re-leaf but your tree will come back with sunshine and warm weather.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks Chuck, the leaf drop was fairly slow, then lots blew off when I stupidly put it outside on the first nice day this spring (which happened to be very windy). What are your thoughts on new buds? Leave them or pick them in hopes of encouraging new leaves?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks Chuck, the leaf drop was fairly slow, then lots blew off when I stupidly put it outside on the first nice day this spring (which happened to be very windy). What are your thoughts on new buds? Leave them or pick them in hopes of encouraging new leaves?
Leave them. They will self abort if the tree needs to.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My Meyer,s lemon does the same thing every year, but as soon as it warms up it will start to grow new leaves, April / May is when it start to bloom for me and will bloom all summer even when it has set fruit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm hoping to purchase a Meyer lemon in the next week or so. Thanks for sharing your experience as it will help me prepare for the winter season!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm hoping to purchase a Meyer lemon in the next week or so. Thanks for sharing your experience as it will help me prepare for the winter season!
The main thing is adequate direct sunlight. The less sunlight the less growth and the less growth the less fruiting. You will have to have at least at minimum 6 hours of direct sunlight to have a really productive tree. And the less sunlight the more susceptible to root and leaf fungus problems. Chicago isn't the best place to grow citrus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The main thing is adequate direct sunlight. The less sunlight the less growth and the less growth the less fruiting. You will have to have at least at minimum 6 hours of direct sunlight to have a really productive tree. And the less sunlight the more susceptible to root and leaf fungus problems. Chicago isn't the best place to grow citrus
Thanks for reinforcing that. I'm trying to figure out which grow lamp solution would work best in my home space, I'd appreciate any comments toward that in this thread: https://www.gardening-forums.com/th...ntained-light-for-my-office-meyer-lemon.5585/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Country
United States
Good forum and great feedback, I've enjoyed reading the posts and was wondering if you could also provide some suggestions with my meyer lemon. I live in Los Angeles and potted a young Meyer lemon in May. I keep it outside on the balcony where it receives ~8hours of direct light every day. I originally watered it once a week but after a heat spike, the lower leaves started curling so for the past 2 weeks I have increased the watering to twice a week. Despite the increased watering, the lower leaves are still dry and I'm afraid the rest of the tree will follow suit. Also we didn't have any buds this May/June -- is this normal for trees <1yr old?

Should I continue to water it 2x? Should I return to watering it 1x a week (maybe the leaves are curling from over watering)? Should we pick the lower leaves or leave them on?

I've uploaded some pics to help. Appreciate any feedback! Thanks much

Lemon1.JPG
Lemon2.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Two things. The first, when you water water very slowly and saturate it. If you can, water from the bottom up to ensure all of the roots are being watered. Secondly, it appears that the tree is planted too deep. Remove enough of the soil to expose the root flare

Ask a Question