Meyers lemon tree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm going to have lots of lemons this year. Last year I only had 4 lemons on the tree, this year so far there are 19 lemons, This is the third year growing and second year bearing fruit.Going yo be lots of fresh lemon cookies and cakes. Its planted in a 4 gal pot and is about 4 ft tall.
Peak bloom 2015 001.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's a beautiful lemon tree!!!:D I love it. It looks so healthy! 19 lemons is a lot:) Fresh lemon cookies sound absolutely delicious, thinking about them makes me hungry:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Oh no kidding, I don't associate citrus trees with northern states. I'm assuming you bring it inside for winter?

Reaction score
I wonder if I can do the same in Amsterdam? Your lemon tree is so beautiful! But aren't the green fruits limes? I've always thought lemons were yellow, or are the green varieties of lemons (not limes)?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is amazing looking and so healthy! I notice you are in zone 6 so you must be closer to me and if you can grow lemon tree in a pot, then I am hopeful. I have always want to grow lemon tree, but my climate is just not for it, so I thought.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Oh no kidding, I don't associate citrus trees with northern states. I'm assuming you bring it inside for winter?

I bring the tree in every winter and put it in a south/ east window and let it do its own thing.

Trellum, The lemons will turn yellow in about a month, I'll have fresh lemons most of the winter. You can grow them in your area if you treat them as a container plant, They don't do well when temps go below 55f

Claudine, I like them for cooking because there on the sweet side and are great for baking because I can use less sugar.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
:(I'm obviously doing something very wrong or not doing something dreadfully wrong. My lemon tree and my lime tree have been in for 4years and are quite big and healthy looking but I've had a total of 3 lemons. I have fed them but maybe not enough. And lemons are so expensive to buy But it's not just that, it would be so nice to just go pick one. A very experienced gardening friend advised me on where to plant them so I feel sure it's not position. It does get sun and water and has drainage as it is on a slight slope. :(:(
I look at your wonderful little tree with all those lemons Fernsdaddy and look at my fairly big one and no lemons. :confused:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Not knowing the type of lemon tree you have it would be hard to say why your not getting lots of lemon, your tree might not be fully mature yet. My Lemon tree is fully mature and will not get more than 5 ft or so in the pot. if you know what kind of tree it is you can look it up on line to read more about it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Not knowing the type of lemon tree you have it would be hard to say why your not getting lots of lemon, your tree might not be fully mature yet. My Lemon tree is fully mature and will not get more than 5 ft or so in the pot. if you know what kind of tree it is you can look it up on line to read more about it.
Pretty sure it's a Lisbon. Where's that spotlight?

Reaction score
Thanks. Will feed it today

Hopefully you'll forgive my butting in here but as a grower of almost every kind of citrus tree and many, many years of experience too - unless its early spring where you are I would hold off on the fertilizer.

For the simple reason that - although lemon trees are renowned for being temperamental and there are various reasons as to why lemon trees may not produce fruit - the most common causes of lack of fruit production are too much water over the winter months or too much fertilizer - the latter of which is generally the main reason - as too much fertilizer can and does inhibit fruit production.

In fact as Citrus don't actually fair too well with too much fertilizer - you will get a much stronger healthier tree that fruits abundantly - if you give it a very, very light dusting of a citrus specific fertilizer - high potassium, phosphorus, magnesium content rather than high nitrogen - once a year and preferably in early spring - with the occasional dusting of epsom salts throughout the growing season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Gee, that lemon tree in the photo surely is very prolific. But I wonder why the fruits seem to be of the same age. That means they will be harvested all at the same time, approximately. But it's cute because such a small has many fruits. Our lemon tree is bigger and the fruiting is not simultaneous, something like 3 or 4 fruits at a time and when it matures, flowers will again bloom for another batch of 3 to 4 lemons.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Hopefully you'll forgive my butting in here but as a grower of almost every kind of citrus tree and many, many years of experience too - unless its early spring where you are I would hold off on the fertilizer.

For the simple reason that - although lemon trees are renowned for being temperamental and there are various reasons as to why lemon trees may not produce fruit - the most common causes of lack of fruit production are too much water over the winter months or too much fertilizer - the latter of which is generally the main reason - as too much fertilizer can and does inhibit fruit production.

In fact as Citrus don't actually fair too well with too much fertilizer - you will get a much stronger healthier tree that fruits abundantly - if you give it a very, very light dusting of a citrus specific fertilizer - high potassium, phosphorus, magnesium content rather than high nitrogen - once a year and preferably in early spring - with the occasional dusting of epsom salts throughout the growing season.

Well gata montes, that means I have actually done the right thing then as I have used citrus fertilizer and not since last year but more through being slack rather than good management. We've actually had low rainfall this winter, so much so that we'll be worried about bush fires come the warmer weather, so over watering can't be the problem either causing my very sad lemon production either:(. Mmmmmmm. Back to the drawing board:confused:!!! Thanks for the input. I'll keep working on it.:)

Ask a Question