Meyer Lemon Help

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry for the long post, but this is my last stop before I pull my meyer lemon and start again. I bought a small tree from a nursery less than half a mile from my house. I bought a lemon and a lime. The lemon didn't look good the nursery mentioned they accidentally double dosed it with fertilizer and it would be fine.

We brought them home. They are in the same area of the yard in identical pots. Same potting soil. Same water system. Same fertilization schedule (every other month from April - Sept. We are in northern CA - hot and dry.

It's been 2 years. The lemon did ok, but is now degrading. I've lost almost all the leaves, but there are a ton of flowers. I dug my hand into the soil of both the lime and lemon and they feel comparable (barely moist/dryish). I've tested Ph - no issues. I have not fertilized it yet this year. Thinking I have a dud tree and I should just pull it and start over. One thing I have noticed is the water runs out of the lemon faster than the lime. For example if I put a gallon of water in the lime a little will come out the bottom, but if I put a gallon of water in the lemon, I will see at least 25% out the bottom.

I can try to remove as much dirt and amend with new soil, but starting to think there is just something wrong with this tree. It did produce very tasty lemons last year, but I don't think it can do much with all the leaves it lost. I have attached 3 pics. Both plants (lemon on left, lime on right), lemon only and up close of some of the yellowing leaves. I also have the picture of the original plants from 2 years ago, but I don't think it's relevant.

Would love some advice/suggestions.

bothtrees.jpglemon.jpglemonleaves.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It looks to me like the lemon is root bound and needs to be repotted into a larger container.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It looks to me like the lemon is root bound and needs to be repotted into a larger container.
Interesting. I hadn't considered that as the pot is pretty large and I've seen bigger trees in smaller pots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Interesting. I hadn't considered that as the pot is pretty large and I've seen bigger trees in smaller pots.
For at least 2 years? Just take it out of the container and look. You can always put it back.

Ask a Question